Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm in a dilemma help

I currently have DACA, which ultimatelys rules out any financial aid that comes from the government, and I believe my current financial status would qualify me for need based aid.

I was accepted ED to Georgetown but before that I was accepted to WashU Law. I withdrew all of my other applications today except for WashU Law because they notified me they're giving me a full scholarship.

I haven't received my scholarship info from Georgetown just yet but I feel so stressed.

Should I email Georgetown to ask when I should be expecting to be notified of my scholarhsip award?

Comments

• aleland13aleland13 Alum Member
    158 karma

Oof, that’s a rough predicament to be in. By applying early decision you’ve committed to attending Georgetown, regardless of what financial aid/scholarships they give you (if any). If I was you I’d call them up and ask them when you can expect notification of any scholarship award. I can’t find the early decision agreement anywhere on the Georgetown website but if I was you I’d double check your application to see what you exactly you agreed to when you applied ED. I don’t know if they’d be willing to release you from your ED commitment if you realize you can’t afford to attend after all, esp because of your DACAmented status. Or idk if they’d be willing to give you MORE money if you explain your DACA status. Regardless, you should reach out to the school (I wouldn’t tell them that you haven’t withdrawn your app/rejected the offer from wash u though...)

Here’s a recent thread on how strict ED is: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/19170/how-strictly-is-early-admission-enforced

Good luck, I know trying to figure out how to pay for law school when you can’t rely on traditional loans/aid is incredibly difficult.

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

I think the best thing would be to be honest with GULC. Say, "I love this school, that's why I applied ED, etc. However, I just realized that with DACA..." Make it clear that it was an accident and you're trying to make it work with them.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I got my gtown decision right before Christmas and still haven’t gotten scholarship info. Emailing them wouldn’t hurt but you just have to wait. It seems to usually take a few weeks after you are admitted. Once you get the scholarship info try to negotiate with them or see what resources they can provide for DACA students.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    edited January 2019 1694 karma

This is an unfortunate circumstance, and there isn't a clear solution. I remember another 7sager choosing not to ED anywhere because she knew she wanted scholarship money, and that an ED can mess that up. Apparently, this is standard knowledge, so you probably should have done a bit of research about this before you chose to ED. Look at it on the bright side. You got into GTLC. It's only fair that you are being punished now, since you reaped the reward of the ED boost.
    I really like @hawaiihi 's suggestion though. If you qualify for need-base aid, then reaching out to GTLC should be your immediate action. Don't just email them, and call them first, to get a faster response. And have a good reason for why your circumstance has changed, and don't mention WashU.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Any updates? Did you email the school?

• Chug1234Chug1234 Member
    11 karma

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in responding. I called and then emailed them explaining my situation and they told me they noted my need for need-based aid. They said I should be receiving my scholarship/aid package early this month. I'll leave another update once I receive it.