PT2.S2.Q18 - Learning how to build a nest plays an important

RitchieD1RitchieD1 Alum Member
edited January 2019 in Logical Reasoning 22 karma

Hi,

I do not understand the answer and why it is correct. Can you please break AC sentence down completely?

Black Birds Nesting

I identified the question stem
(Weaken) the argument-->(Identify premise, conclusion, context if any)
This tells me that I need to destroy the support, lessen the support, attack the support that makes the conclusion true.
After reading the passage, I understood the causal relationship that is being purported.

Phenomenon Thing (1)Birds nesting for the first time, are less successful than (comparative statement) ("bigger stronger")older birds+(1yr olds)1st time ("smaller+weaker").

(This) (RF) (⬆︎ Phenomenon) can not be a mere matter of size and strength(meaning they cant attribute this⬆︎ success to just size and strength it must be something else... ) because Black birds are fully grown when they are leave the nest.

success≠(size + strength) (Author ruling out size and strength as reason for success)

Demands an explanation ( Blackbird Nesting Successful because _______________

Hypothesis They benefit by their nesting experience.

So black bird nesting experience (age?) is why they're successful.

Now I need to know why it is probably not their nesting experience, perhaps... ➔ (Alternate Cause/hypothesis/competing explanation/conclusion).

A. We know theyre successful, we don't know why... not interested in other birds +
B. Answer that was left, but dont understand it
C. 2nd time is more succ than first (Obvi) +
D. Author ruled out size and strength - in premise, not alt explanation to why success +
E. Honestly, proportion of All birds, is a rabbit hole, a dark one. ?

So B says per my limited breakdown.

The capacity (maximum amount?) of blackbirds to lay viable eggs increases (after this sentence is where I am at a wall) Berlin Wall
with each successive (same as successful?) trial (what?) during the 1st few years of reproduction (does this mean breeding, nesting, birth)?

Please Help

Help.

Admin note: edited title

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

The conclusion states that their nesting experience is why they’re successful. The premises that support that conclusion are that they are not as successful the first go around as they are in subsequent tries. Also, the author rules out the alternative weakening hypo that it has anything to do with their size or strength.

AC B weakens the argument that they are successful because of their nesting experience by introducing an alternative fact about these birds. B states that the birds are more capable of laying viable eggs after the first try. This weakens the argument that it is because of experience building nests, and suggests their success is more biological.

Other things you mentioned you were confused about:
    -Capacity in this context means “ability”
    -Successive means “subsequent” or “sequential” or “year after year”
    -trial would probably refer to attempt at reproducing
    -reproduction literally means the birds are laying eggs and trying to have offspring. We know from the passage they are not as successful in the first year as they are in later years.