LORs - do they need to say recommendation?

I know this might be a silly question, but do letters of recommendation need to explicitly say that anywhere on the letter? I ask because I understand there is a distinction between a letter of reference and a letter of recommendation, and one my recommenders included "this reference is provided at..." It would be easy enough to have them change it and maybe this is trivial, but I'd appreciate all of your input. Thanks!

Comments

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

No, they don't. The exact wording in an LOR doesn't matter; all that matters is that it's a letter from a former professor/boss vouching for your ability. It should be clear that the letter-writer is recommending you as a great future law student based on context; if it's not a clearly positive letter, it doesn't matter whether they say "reference" or "recommendation."

• 118 karma

I don't know for sure, but this article seems to imply that an actual recommendation matters: https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/law-admissions-lowdown/articles/2016-07-20/anatomy-of-a-law-school-recommendation-letter

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Letters of recommendation are a very important part of the application because they show the admissions committee (1) what sort of impact you had on someone (professor or employer) in your life, (2) your judgment in selecting a particular recommender, and (3) your potential for success in law school.

Here are some things the committee might want to read about:

-does she work well with others, can she cooperate and compromise?
    -does she perform well under pressure?
    -is she ambitious and purpose driven?
    -is she capable of thorough and deep analysis?
    -does she take pride in her work product?

If the letter addresses those points, the particular words "I recommend..." are not necessary. Good luck!

• jasmine.lsatterjasmine.lsatter Alum Member
    72 karma

Thank you, everyone!