AMA with Sage NotMyName (148 to 174) hosted by J.Y. Ping | Tuesday, December 11 | 7pm ET

studentservicestudentservice Alum Member Administrator Moderator Student Services
edited December 2018 in Webinars 1421 karma

AMA with Sage @NotMyName hosted by @"J.Y. Ping"

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 7 p.m. EST

AMA = “Ask Me Anything"

Join us for a great discussion with Sage @NotMyName about how he worked his way up to scoring a 174 (official score) from his diagnostic LSAT score of 148. @"J.Y. Ping" will ask questions first and then he'll open the floor for questions!

🔸 NotMyName's LSAT timeline: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_XxszO_VyN75p0Cq-L8Jj4jXKrdhz11D/view?usp=sharing
https://imgur.com/L0vTRFu

🔸 NotMyName's LSAT tracker: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KlnKTzKr5fpR4SiKzDUp4xrBYUlJNYmj/view?usp=sharing

🔸 NotMyName's LSAT timing sheet:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sv1r-Qw4DZ4NucLQCO2KVSYyj1PdWRY8/view?usp=sharing

• The webinar will be held on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 7 p.m. EST
  • No registration is needed for this webinar. The link below will grant you access to the webinar.
  • This webinar will be recorded.

💻 How to join the webinar

Please join the webinar from your computer, tablet or smartphone:
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/126612109

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (408) 650-3123

Access Code: 126-612-109

Joining from a video-conferencing room or system?
Dial: 67.217.95.2##126612109
Cisco devices: 126612109@67.217.95.2

First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check: https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma
  • NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@akistotle lol I know. LG was a tough nut to crack. 2-4 sections 6 days a week for a long time. I saw a big jump when I started emphasizing pattern recognition in LG.

I’m really excited for this. Thank you to JY and team for inviting me. I remember listening to these webinars after my discouraging first-take. They helped me reorient my approach and lifted me up when it seemed like a top score was out of reach. I incorporated a lot of what past Sages have suggested and added some of my own techniques along the way. I look forward to sharing these next week!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

😄😄😄😄😄 exciting stuff!

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

Seriously! I'm so glad you provided us with this spreadsheet @NotMyName. It's one thing to say how much effort the LSAT requires, and another to actually see how much effort the LSAT requires lol

• JRose1210JRose1210 Alum Member
    86 karma

Where can I find this webinar?

6045 karma

@JRose1210 it hasn't happened yet, it is scheduled for next week.

• JRose1210JRose1210 Alum Member
    86 karma

@keets993 OMG! Thank you. I didn’t even notice the date! Lol.

• Wesley-BWesley-B Alum Member
    172 karma

I can't make the webinar but I'm really excited to hear what you have to say afterwards. Thanks for doing this, @NotMyName!

I'm sure you're going to address these in the session but I want to throw them out there in case:
    -How did you think about test retakes and plan them into your studying?
    -You had a 10 point jump from June '18 to July '18. Congratulations, but how did that happen?

6045 karma

This is perfect timing for those of us who underperformed in November and are looking to bounce back in Jan.

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    1810 karma

I see that it will be recorded...does that mean it will be available on the site afterward?

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
    2249 karma

It took 2 years for him to get to a 174?! That’s bad news for me...

• katsita23katsita23 Alum Member
    5 karma

@NotMyName did you use any other resources besides 7sage for LG?

5320 karma

@katherinaturban

@NotMyName did you use any other resources besides 7sage for LG?

I was averaging -12 per LG section when I started with 7Sage and from that point I only used 7Sage.

• katsita23katsita23 Alum Member
    5 karma

@NotMyName thanks for the quick reply! :smiley:

• HappyGilmerHappyGilmer Alum Member
    4 karma

So inspirational! I'm looking forward to hearing all about your study routine.

• Blake MorrisBlake Morris Core Member
    102 karma

This was my daily reminder:

get back to studying you lazy dirtbag

• Beast ModeBeast Mode Live Member
    839 karma

@NotMyName Wow, congratulations! Thank you both for offering the webinar!! @J.Y. Ping

• dianao6512dianao6512 Member
    169 karma

@"ashley.tien" right, I definitely don't have 2 years :(

5320 karma

If anyone has additional questions they weren't able to ask, please feel free to ask them here or DM me and I will respond as soon as I can.

• SuhCratesSuhCrates Member
    129 karma

@NotMyName Thanks for the webinar! I really enjoyed it! I would like to ask some questions I didn't get to ask:

(1) For how long did you work on your PTs? The excel file indicates that you started PT-ing July 2017. Is that right?
    (2) Could you also share your timing sheet?

5320 karma

Hi @SuhCrates

1) I didn't share the whole calendar because I was too lazy to go through it and anonymize it : ). I was PTing before 7Sage but I was doing it all wrong so I don't really count that time. I started PTing under the 7Sage approach in May/June of 2017 and took a PT every 10 days from that time onward.

2) I'm going to ask Student Services to share it in this thread. Stay tuned.

129 karma

@NotMyName
    (1) A year of PT-ing... Wow! I am very motivated by your commitment and encouraged by your perseverance.
    (2). Thanks for sharing the story and the file!

5320 karma

@SuhCrates thank you. I did schedule vacations every so often though and also the 10-day-PT-cycle was a general guideline that I would deviate from if an area demanded more attention. PTs should be a gauge of progress and are not actually studying themselves (they're tests afterall). For example, in the summer and fall of 2017 when I was having a v difficult time learning to skip confidently, I'd delay a PT in exchange for a few more timed sections to practice skipping. As I progressed though, it would be rare for me to break the 10-day-PT-cycle unless it were to take a break from studying in general. does that make sense?

• lsatletsdothislsatletsdothis Alum Member
    56 karma

Thanks @NotMyName for sharing your experience! I missed the first part of this session and was wondering if this would be uploaded on youtube or other platforms?

• studentservicestudentservice Alum Member Administrator Moderator Student Services
    1421 karma

@lsatletsdothis said:
    Thanks @NotMyName for sharing your experience! I missed the first part of this session and was wondering if this would be uploaded on youtube or other platforms?

It will be uploaded as a podcast episode!

• studentservicestudentservice Alum Member Administrator Moderator Student Services
    1421 karma

@NotMyName shared a timing sheet with us and you can take a look here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sv1r-Qw4DZ4NucLQCO2KVSYyj1PdWRY8/view?usp=sharing

129 karma

@NotMyName Yes! I have some follow up questions, and I'll PM you. And thanks for sharing the file! It looks awesome!!

@studentservice YES!

• The NoodleyThe Noodley Alum Member
    662 karma

thank you for doing this! I wonder whether you have some advice for people who have almost exhausted their PTs (I have done PT1-80+ 82). Do you do some individual Q type drill from earlier sections or do more timed sections?

• MambaMentality93MambaMentality93 Live Member
    503 karma

@studentservice said:

@lsatletsdothis said:

It will be uploaded as a podcast episode!

When do you plan on updating it?

5320 karma

@"Testing......"

thank you for doing this! I wonder whether you have some advice for people who have almost exhausted their PTs (I have done PT1-80+ 82). Do you do some individual Q type drill from earlier sections or do more timed sections?

There are several problems that come with burning through PTs. Among them, it will be difficult to track your progress and the real test may be more jarring than for someone used to practicing on fresh material. Have you BRed all this thoroughly? I am assuming not since it's a ton of material. In that case, this is not the end of the world by any means.

Retakes and non-fresh material were a HUGE part of my prep. I used them for LR cookie-cutter review, lawgic drilling, LG foolproofing, and timing/skipping practice. I spent a great deal of time doing my best to read beyond the subject matter of a given question/game/passage and see the structure. I have a 3-ring binder full of LR questions with notes about their cookie-cutter structure. I thought up brief expressions to represent their structure so I could recognize it again like "this thing could have happened therefor it did happen". I also used non-fresh LR/RC sections to practice new timing strategies before trying them out on fresh material.

So cherish the remaining fresh takes you have and only use them when you're confident you've made some major progress.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Looking forward to the recording. Thanks for sharing your story.

• The NoodleyThe Noodley Alum Member
    662 karma

@NotMyName said:
    @"Testing......"

There are several problems that come with burning through PTs. Among them, it will be difficult to track your progress and the real test may be more jarring than for someone used to practicing on fresh material. Have you BRed all this thoroughly? I am assuming not since it's a ton of material. In that case, this is not the end of the world by any means.

Retakes and non-fresh material were a HUGE part of my prep. I used them for LR cookie-cutter review, lawgic drilling, LG foolproofing, and timing/skipping practice. I spent a great deal of time doing my best to read beyond the subject matter of a given question/game/passage and see the structure. I have a 3-ring binder full of LR questions with notes about their cookie-cutter structure. I thought up brief expressions to represent their structure so I could recognize it again like "this thing could have happened therefor it did happen". I also used non-fresh LR/RC sections to practice new timing strategies before trying them out on fresh material.

So cherish the remaining fresh takes you have and only use them when you're confident you've made some major progress.

thank you!

5320 karma

Someone I've been messaging with since this AMA thought part of our conversation would be helpful to others. Here is that segment:

I think I took a week off every 6-8 weeks. It's difficult to pull yourself away but when you're thinking long-term like I was, it's more like an investment in longevity. Diet, exercise, and sleep were also important factors. It definitely sounds like you're flirting with burnout. 2 years is a looong time to be studying. After July, it felt like all the burnout I had avoided during my 2 years came crashing down on me. You might considering taking 2 weeks off and doing something fun or exerting to reset.

Why are you focused on 30 PTs? LSAT progress is more a function of quality than quantity. I'd say it's better to focus on becoming consistent in habits/abilities like quick lawgic translation, skipping, etc than a certain amount of work completed.

[He had asked how long it took me to move through scoring phases and that's what the timing describes below]

148 cold diagnostic to high 150s consistently (3 months)

High 150s consistently to mid 160s consistently (12 months but this counts CC and foolproofing)

Mid 160s consistently to high 160s consistently (4 months)

High 160s consistently to low 170s consistently (3 months)

In order to understand this I think I need to define hard and soft skills. Hard skills are things like being fluid in lawgic and understanding all the ways to weaken/strengthen a causal argument; basically everything that is presented in the CC. Soft skills are things like timing, skipping, etc. In the year that I worked to get consistently mid 160s, I was working almost entirely on hard skills and the soft skills I employed were very conservative (miss 5 per LR). So when it was time to break into the upper 160s/170s, my focus shifted to more aggressive soft skills and that is why you see less time to break into those scores.

• ConstitutedAuthorityConstitutedAuthority Free Trial Member
    36 karma

When will the podcast be made available?!

• MambaMentality93MambaMentality93 Live Member
    503 karma

@ConstitutedAuthority said:
    When will the podcast be made available?!

+1

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

Does anyone know when the podcast will be ready by?

• Vicky180Vicky180 Alum Member
    39 karma

Hi! Does anyone happen to have the link they discussed in this podcast regarding your LSAT score and finding out the number of questions you could get wrong in order to obtain a certain score? I seemed to have misplaced the link. Thank you :)

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited December 2018 9372 karma

@Vicky180 said:
    Hi! Does anyone happen to have the link they discussed in this podcast regarding your LSAT score and finding out the number of questions you could get wrong in order to obtain a certain score? I seemed to have misplaced the link. Thank you :)

Top of the page "Score conversion statistics" 😀:
    https://7sage.com/lsat-score-percentile-conversion/

It's also on Dashboard: https://7sage.com/

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Just listened to the podcast and it was deeply helpful. It was the only piece of media that helped me gain perspective in regards to how my last lsat went, because of how similar it was to the June lsat for notmyname. Thank you.

• mixedlawmixedlaw Alum Member
    edited January 2019 169 karma

This is awesome. Thanks!

• AttJazz08AttJazz08 Alum Member
    edited July 2020 63 karma

Hi! @NotMyName

Thanks so much for providing the tracking sheet. Would it be possible to get some clarity on how you used the sheet? I guess I am sort of wondering if the time it took you to read through the passage on RC, and answer each question, both things together, added up to 40 minutes - just the first time you ever went through a passage, and then on the second try it took you 40 minutes just for the questions.

Also, I am not sure what the circle column is for. I've listened to both the podcast twice and haven't been able to figure that out.

It looks like a super helpful tracker and I am hoping to use it as intended, just starting to track RC.