Motivation/Advice/Study Tips

JRose1210JRose1210 Alum Member
in General 86 karma

Greetings everyone,

I am reaching out to see if anyone can offer some advice/motivation. I have been studying for the LSAT for a little over a year. I’ve taken the exam twice, both times scoring less than my potential. I am a paralegal and my boss accomodated me last year and allowed time off to study. It looks like I will need to continue to prep for another try at the exam. I am feeling totally unmotivated and tired. However, I do not want to give up. I am not going to ask for more accomodations at work since I feel they’ve done enough. I also would like to look for a new job but haven’t done so because of the law school process. I’m feeling quite stressed and unsure of how to tackle test prep moving forward. Can anyone offer some tips? :(

Comments

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    938 karma

Hi there -

Working and studying the LSAT can be really tough, so I really admire the fact that you're juggling both of those responsibilities. You wake up, decide to go to work, and have every intention to study until you get home after your 8-10 hour day and it is just too tough. I get it; I've been there.

My advice is this:

if you can, then I highly suggest you taking time off work and focusing on the LSAT. Some people do not have this luxury, I understand - but if you do, I think you should. If you want to ultimately become an attorney, this LSAT is the MOST important test you will ever take.

If you cannot, which is understandable, then I think it is very important that you take it slow and study 1 to 2 hours after work. Although it is important that you up those hours on the weekend. It sounds dreadful, but considering you have to work and you want to go to law school, you're going to have to make these sacrifices.

The most important piece of advice I can give to you is this: sign up and take the LSAT when you are ready. Don't sign up for a test, and cram up until the test and then have to take it even if you aren't ready. There is no rush to go to law school. Either take a few months off work and focus on this exam, or drag it out a year (even two) studying little by little everyday.

The LSAT is extremely stressful, and it can get in the way of your dreams of being a lawyer. It can make you want to quit this journey if you let it. Don't let it defeat you. Figure out your circumstances and try to fit the LSAT into your life in a realistic and efficient way.

We are here for you. Feel free to reach out whenever.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Do you think you might have burnout? Have you finished the CC?

• JRose1210JRose1210 Alum Member
    86 karma

@lsatgodjk Thank you for taking the time to comment! Unfortunately, I am unable to take time off from work at this time. I had every intention of using my lunch breaks and 2 hours of study after work for 3 days a week and at least 5 hours on Saturdays and Sundays, but oftentimes it doesn’t go as I plan. Getting my head back in the game has been a challenge! I’ll be 32 years old soon and although I know there is no rush to go to law school, I still feel a rush because of my age.

@lsatplaylist I definitely burned out. I found the exam exciting at first. I enjoyed it alot! Until I became nauseated by it and anxiety kicked in! That’s how much work I did! I used any spare time I had to review my wrong answers and drill.

• Michael.CincoMichael.Cinco Member Sage
    2116 karma

I'm doing the work and lsat thing too. I've used my holidays to book study sessions and I've written the lsat twice. From my experience the best use of your time is to do real practice tests and use the analytics tools to figure out where you are weak and hammer those points until they become strengths. It took about 20+ different pts and 2 real lsats but I feel like I Hve a groove and rhythm with the test now. I stay after work to do a pt at work where I can't be bothered and do the blind review there or at the office the next morning before people come in. This test has come to dominate my life but lofty ambitions come at a price. Stick to it, I'm sure it will all payoff.