Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

School's Full name or Abbreviation in Personal Statement

Which sounds better? I'm applying to schools such as UVA, NYU, and Penn. Would I write NYU School of Law or New York University School of Law? I'm mentioning the school's name only once in my PS and I don't know which sounds better.

Comments

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

I think either would be fine, but abbreviations have a more personal feel to it imo. So, I would toss a vote for using NYU Law, Penn Law, and UVA Law.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    edited February 2019 1532 karma

@eRetaker That's what I was thinking too! I was thinking NYU School of Law or NYU Law School. Which do you think?

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

I have been referring to all of my schools as just X Law. I think that would be fine especially since NYU's own logo just says NYU Law.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I generally looked around on the websites to see how they reference it themselves. Most schools use things like Berkeley Law, Northwestern Law, UCLA Law and I used those versions when necessary.

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

I know that students from Yale, Harvard, Stanford etc will often say SLS/YLS/HLS and it's totally acceptable. What I did was I would spell it out the first time, then use the abbreviations for any following reference.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

I always spell things out the first time. Acronyms come after.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@FixedDice said:
    I always spell things out the first time. Acronyms come after.

Same! I start off writing the school name based on how the school formally lists itself on LSAC (like on that instructions page when you start the app) and then after that I write the school name based off how the school advertises itself on its website