Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let’s Share Our Study Spaces (for motivation 🙂)

KeepCalmKeepCalm Alum Member
edited February 2019 in Off-topic 807 karma

Hello!

I am transitioning from studying in public venues and coffee shops to an office space where I can keep to myself at home. I wanted to see how other 7sagers set up their study spaces as for some motivational support and aesthetics inspo✨

Comments

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

I study best in coffee shops with my WiFi turned off. Used to get really distracted during my PTs but after a while I learned how to completely drown out noise.

• Lawster9Lawster9 Alum Member
    393 karma

I study in my room at my desk :) Fav place to study.

• trentonfreeman07trentonfreeman07 Free Trial Member
    2 karma

A quiet library study room is the #1 spot! Keep devices turned off during studying.

• chisal17chisal17 Alum Member
    289 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:
    I study best in coffee shops with my WiFi turned off. Used to get really distracted during my PTs but after a while I learned how to completely drown out noise.

I'm very curious about this because I've been meaning to try it but haven't been able to. After taking PTs in noisy conditions, did you ever take a PT in quiet conditions and see an increase in your focus/score? How do you zone out the distractions?

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

I study in my room with noise cancelling headphones and "do not disturb" mode activated on my iPhone. When I take full PTs with the noise cancelling headphones, I make sure to turn up the distractions on the 7Sage app to the 2nd or 3rd level.

• aleland13aleland13 Alum Member
    158 karma

I have a desk in my living room with all my LSAT books stacked on one corner and fresh flowers on the other (the flowers are a 'treat myself' for getting through another week of LSAT prep!) I also have a small corkboard above my desk where I pin up flashcards/reminders/etc (like the group 3/4 logical indicators and valid argument forms) and I keep them there until I've memorized them. Honestly if you're studying during the day, try to place your desk in a place that gets as much natural light as possible - it drives me crazy to study under fluorescents so my desk sits near a window. Having a bit of color in my desk in the form of colorful pens, my simplified planer, highlighters and of course my flowers also makes it more likely that I'll feel positive during my studying which means I can study for longer + get more done!

• kpj744___kpj744___ Alum Member
    231 karma

I study all over the place, including my office at my job (a university, so it's pretty quiet when my door is closed), the library (I've used the main floor with other students so I have that distraction going on), and my own home desk. I haven't had luck with the 7Sage app, but apparently I'm doing it wrong -- I had no idea I could increase distractions in it!! How cool, @mjmonte17 .

I agree about being near a window, and I'd add that it's important to have photos of loved ones (or a special place) on the desk. I find that when I'm stressing over things, I can look at the photo for a minute and it noticeably reduces my stress. I'm also a big fan of oil diffusers, so I've been using those, as well.

I used to always have music playing when I did work, but haven't yet with studying -- anyone else use music and does it help? I mean there are studies that show music can help you retain information if it's not a distraction (e.g., you aren't doing karaoke with it). LOVE the idea of fresh flowers as a treat @aleland13 !!!

• aleland13aleland13 Alum Member
    158 karma

@kpj744___ spotify has 2 awesome playlists that I use later in the day when I'm starting to get bored and need some music for studying - "chill lofi study beats" and "lo-fi beats" (i think you can also find something similar on youtube...) My boyfriend works with STEM college students and he uses both of those playlists as well when they're studying/doing reviews. Check them out!

757 karma

@kpj744___ yeah! It should be available under the proctor section of the app!

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

Although I studied in less-than-ideal places for the practice of distractions, my favorite spot was my desk, the window open to the breeze, a scented candle next to my papers, my door closed, my comfy clothes on, no sound :smile:

• KeepCalmKeepCalm Alum Member
    807 karma

Nice! Same with me :)

807 karma

@Lawster9 said:
    I study in my room at my desk :) Fav place to study.

That's awesome! I always found it hard to study at home (too many distractions) but I want to overcome that

807 karma

@trentonfreeman07 said:
    A quiet library study room is the #1 spot! Keep devices turned off during studying.

I agree! :smile:

• Lawster9Lawster9 Alum Member
    393 karma

I actually had the same thing. I started out studying in only non home spaces (coffee shops, libraries, even at a friends office which had an empty desk). Eventually I got lazy and I decided that I was going to make studying at home work. Key things that helps me study effectively at home are a very neat desk/room, and having a set time I study each day (obviously I’m flexible, but I try keeping it consistent).

807 karma

@chisal17 said:

I'm very curious about this because I've been meaning to try it but haven't been able to. After taking PTs in noisy conditions, did you ever take a PT in quiet conditions and see an increase in your focus/score? How do you zone out the distractions?

It definitely took some time for me to be able to tune out the outside noise and focus on the PT in front of me. What helped me transition was listening to classical music or wearing earplugs :smiley: I did not notice much of a difference in my focus/score under quiet conditions (but that's just me!)

807 karma

@mjmonte17 said:
    I study in my room with noise cancelling headphones and "do not disturb" mode activated on my iPhone. When I take full PTs with the noise cancelling headphones, I make sure to turn up the distractions on the 7Sage app to the 2nd or 3rd level.

Noise cancelling headphones! That's awesome! Which brand/model would you recommend?

807 karma

@aleland13 said:
    I have a desk in my living room with all my LSAT books stacked on one corner and fresh flowers on the other (the flowers are a 'treat myself' for getting through another week of LSAT prep!) I also have a small corkboard above my desk where I pin up flashcards/reminders/etc (like the group 3/4 logical indicators and valid argument forms) and I keep them there until I've memorized them. Honestly if you're studying during the day, try to place your desk in a place that gets as much natural light as possible - it drives me crazy to study under fluorescents so my desk sits near a window. Having a bit of color in my desk in the form of colorful pens, my simplified planer, highlighters and of course my flowers also makes it more likely that I'll feel positive during my studying which means I can study for longer + get more done!

I love that! I will definitely ✿treat myself✿ with flowers too! Thank you for all of your suggestions!

757 karma

@"MinnaHN." I think Bose is the best brand for sound and build quality. Although it isn't cheap, I recommend the QuietComfort 35 wireless headphones II. Honestly, purchasing quality headphones was one of the best lifestyle / LSAT related purchases I have made.

edited February 2019 807 karma

@kpj744___ said:
    I study all over the place, including my office at my job (a university, so it's pretty quiet when my door is closed), the library (I've used the main floor with other students so I have that distraction going on), and my own home desk. I haven't had luck with the 7Sage app, but apparently I'm doing it wrong -- I had no idea I could increase distractions in it!! How cool, @mjmonte17 .

I agree about being near a window, and I'd add that it's important to have photos of loved ones (or a special place) on the desk. I find that when I'm stressing over things, I can look at the photo for a minute and it noticeably reduces my stress. I'm also a big fan of oil diffusers, so I've been using those, as well.

I used to always have music playing when I did work, but haven't yet with studying -- anyone else use music and does it help? I mean there are studies that show music can help you retain information if it's not a distraction (e.g., you aren't doing karaoke with it). LOVE the idea of fresh flowers as a treat @aleland13 !!!

Photos are a great idea! Thank you! In terms of playing music while studying, I find that it can be distracting (unless it is classical music) BUT it is significantly less distracting when I pair music to my logic games study sessions. I enjoy LG more for that very reason. I definitely saw an improvement in my LG performance

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@chisal17 said:

Sorry for the late reply! I think you get used to it after a couple of takes. It helped me tune out my own distractions as well. My mind sometimes wanders midway through a section but I think learning to work in a noisy environment teaches you to drown out your own noise as well.

Good way to get better at it is to (quietly) read out loud to yourself.