Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I wait to submit app pending January scores if I'm not sure I did better than score on file?

kpj744___kpj744___ Alum Member
edited February 2019 in Law School Admissions 231 karma

So I got a decent score on my November 2018 LSAT but wanted to score higher, because, well, money. I'm ready to apply to a school (UConn) and am unsure if I should wait for my January scores to come back or not. I remember feeling like I did alright on the LR and RC sections, but that LG section just about killed me. I worry that if I wait, my score will not actually be higher and then I've hurt my "earlier" application chances (and yes, I know it's getting later in the cycle).

Thoughts??

Submit now or wait
  1. Do I submit my application now or wait for January scores?15 votes
    1. Submit now. You can always write and notify them of an increase in LSAT score.
      53.33%
    2. Wait. You may have done better on the January test and it's not that much longer for the scores.
      46.67%

Comments

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

I vote wait--- and by wait I mean, just wait until the fall, get your application 100% ready, and send it in September or October. You'll know your score, you'll have a year to work/save money, you'll improve your softs and work experience, and you'll have a WAY better chance at getting scholarship money!

• kpj744___kpj744___ Alum Member
    edited February 2019 231 karma

@hawaiihi thanks for your input. My softs and work are pretty ok, I think (I'm a non-traditional student with a bunch of scholarly work). While I would love to wait, I'm kind of timing this with other things in my life (job-related, kids, etc.) so I don't know as that's as feasible to wait an entire cycle. I get why you say what you say, just not sure that works in my case. Thank you so much for responding to me!

973 karma

@kpj744___ that makes sense. You should be prepared, though, to know that it's already getting fairly late in the cycle. I wouldn't rule out making backup plans for next cycle in case you don't get the acceptance/money you're looking for. Best of luck though, I really do hope it works out for you!

@hawaiihi if/when something like that happens, do people normally re-apply to the same school the following year and just re-take the LSAT, etc. or improve in whatever way they needed to do? Just curious.

973 karma

@kpj744___ if people are rejected, they'll apply again. Generally, though, if you want to go to X school, get accepted, but don't get any money, it would be a bad idea to decline and reapply to X purely for the money if you don't have any other mitigating circumstances.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

I think you asked two great questions. I think you should attend one of the webinars with David that happens every Wednesday evening and ask them yourself, and get an immediate, professional response. If money really is such a big factor for you, I feel like the schools will understand. In fact, if you get accepted without scholarship, talk to them. I believe they will help you to their best abilities. I think it is very rare that after they accept you, and you ask them for some money, they would straight up say no and force you to decline your acceptance.

Thanks @Bamboosprout . I have been attending those office hours, but hadn't asked that specific question. I remember David once mentioning to someone you could always email them after applying to let them know you got a better LSAT score, so ultimately, I went with applying now and we'll see what happens. :-)

• Sara_3080Sara_3080 Alum Member
    edited February 2019 432 karma

If schools see you took the January LSAT and you listed that on your application
    even after you submit most of them wont evaluate your application until those scores come in though anyways right? Definitely think you made the right decision to apply now :)

231 karma

Right @Sar_4080 ...so I didn't list the January test.