Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some..Not

I just want to clarify this.
Some dogs are not cute
I want to make sure the range of this statement. SO the # of dogs that are cute can range from 0-99 ?
Because at least one dog is not cute so that makes the number of cute dogs range from 0-99?
Moreover, lets say if there are 99 dogs that are cute our statement is still valid since 1 of them is not cute right? And also can it be that all dogs are not cute.
I would appreciate the help

Comments

• nick97024nick97024 Alum Member
    15 karma

It would be incorrect to say that from 'some dogs are not cute' that any dogs are cute. While common sense urges you to think that may be the case, it cannot be inferred logically from the statement in question.

• I didnt say « any dogs are cute » i said that can we infer the number of cute dogs from the statement can be 0-99 ?

• The Wizards BakerThe Wizards Baker Alum Member
    35 karma

Correct. If there are 100 dogs, and some dogs are not cute, then at least one dog is not cute. But it could be as many as all of the dogs are not cute. In other words, not all dogs are cute. So anywhere from 0-99 dogs are cute. Put another way, 1-100 dogs are not cute.