Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does it mean by statements of strong interest? (Columbia)

From Columbia's website:

Can I submit an addendum or additional written materials along with my application?

Yes. The Admissions Committee believes that candidates should be able to expand upon aspects of their candidacy that are otherwise not represented in the required materials. Some examples include diversity statements, statements of strong interest in Columbia Law School, explanations of undergraduate and/or LSAT performance, etc. We strongly suggest that applicants use their best judgment, in terms of content and length, when considering the submission of supplemental materials.

So the question is do I treat it like a Why X essay? I'm not sure if writing one is a good idea...

Comments

• joezim425joezim425 Alum Member
    90 karma

The deadline is in four days so whatever you write would be pretty rushed at this point. From what I've read, the T6 schools tend to assume that you want to go there. You can do what you want, but personally I am saving all of that stuff for my LOCI if I get waitlisted.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

Echoing what @joezim425 said. My (perhaps incomplete) understanding of Why X statements from other forums is that they're for avoiding yield protection, but since the T6 don't yield protect, the statements are unnecessary. Also doesn't Columbia have a part in their personal statement prompts asking for a "why Columbia" already anyway?

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@joezim425 said:
    The deadline is in four days so whatever you write would be pretty rushed at this point. From what I've read, the T6 schools tend to assume that you want to go there. You can do what you want, but personally I am saving all of that stuff for my LOCI if I get waitlisted.

Can I ask what it means to "save all that stuff for LOCI"? Do you have a storage of things to say about a school for when you get waitlisted that is distinct from the things in the "why X" essays you wrote?

• yurple591yurple591 Alum Member
    62 karma

What is LOCI?

• UnicornFartsUnicornFarts Alum Member
    222 karma

@yurple591 said:
    What is LOCI?

Letter of Continued Interest. Basically you write one if you are waitlisted to show that you really do want to go to their school

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Personally, I think it would be a great idea to write something that you may not have talked about in your personal statement or if it's just briefly in your resume. It just adds a little more information about you. I know the time is a bit short, but if you are able to sit down and focus, it may truly just help. If I was in your position, I would write the draft, get it checked by others, rewrite, and repeat until I am confident in it. If you could add a diversity statement, I think it could be useful, but again only you can know what is best in your case!

90 karma

@Bamboosprout said:

Can I ask what it means to "save all that stuff for LOCI"? Do you have a storage of things to say about a school for when you get waitlisted that is distinct from the things in the "why X" essays you wrote?

Yes I do for the T6 schools I applied to, because I didn’t write a “Why X” essay for them. I want to be able to write a killer LOCI if I get waitlisted that doesn’t just recycle a “Why X” essay that would already be on my record. I’m not claiming that this will definitely work, it’s just my personal strategy. Another thing to keep in mind is that a bad “Why X” essay can hurt you, whereas a strong essay probably won’t move the needle very much in comparison to your LSAT, GPA, PS, or Resume. T6 schools don’t ask for them, so I didn’t think it was worth the risk. OP can do whatever works for them, though.

1694 karma

@joezim425 said:

@Bamboosprout said:

Yes I do for the T6 schools I applied to, because I didn’t write a “Why X” essay for them. I want to be able to write a killer LOCI if I get waitlisted that doesn’t just recycle a “Why X” essay that would already be on my record. I’m not claiming that this will definitely work, it’s just my personal strategy. Another thing to keep in mind is that a bad “Why X” essay can hurt you, whereas a strong essay probably won’t move the needle very much in comparison to your LSAT, GPA, PS, or Resume. T6 schools don’t ask for them, so I didn’t think it was worth the risk. OP can do whatever works for them, though.

Interesting gamble. Let us know how it works out? Did you go with this plan because you were pretty confident that you wouldn't get rejected based on your GPA, and LSAT?

2043 karma

@Bamboosprout I actually think the gamble would be to actually write a "Why X" since they're usually not advised for T6.

1694 karma

@eRetaker said:
    @Bamboosprout I actually think the gamble would be to actually write a "Why X" since they're usually not advised for T6.

Oh really? Why is that? I know that they don't ask for it, but I never knew that it was not advised.

2043 karma

@Bamboosprout sort of alluding to what @joezim425 said, you can save the material in the case of a LOCI after waitlist or if you write a bad "why X" it can only hurt you while a good "why X" won't really move the needle. This is partly because the purpose of the "Why X" is for schools to protect their yield, they want to admit people who will actually attend. Lower ranked T14 lose a lot of cross admits to T6 so they want to see it, especially from higher stat applicants to know that they're not a safety school. T6 schools don't have to really worry about losing cross-admits because they're T6 so it semi-defeats the purpose of a "why X."

See this older thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=198399

I think the advice there still applies.

90 karma

Yeah @eRetaker pretty much nailed it on the head. Plus Columbia puts a lot of people on the waitlist, so it’s important to stand out.

1694 karma

@joezim425 said:
    Yeah @eRetaker pretty much nailed it on the head. Plus Columbia puts a lot of people on the waitlist, so it’s important to stand out.

Oh damn. I had no idea about all this inside baseball information. I just threw everything I had at the wall and hoped something stuck.

edited February 2019 90 karma

That’s not a terrible way to go, but I’ve avoided some common mistakes by doing more research. You can find a lot of great stuff on the forums of www.lawschool.life and the law school admissions subreddit.