Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scored a 160, should I postpone applying til next cycle?

emilianoromero21emilianoromero21 Core Member
in General 68 karma

This is my second time taking the test, after I completely bombed my first with a 155. In my last 3 PTs I had a 163, a 164, and a 166, respectively. I know I can do better and am unsure as to whether I should postpone to next cycle. To add more to my dilemma, I have a poor undergrad gpa with a 2.8. I am 4 (27 years old, ftw) years out of undergrad with tons of valuable professional experiences and solid references, though I know I still need to get a good lsat score for a chance at a T1 or T2 university, and to get some scholarship money.

I am also in a very serious relationship and we are considering starting a family in the next few years. Should I wait for the next cycle or just apply now? Your input is greatly appreciated

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

[...] I know I can do better and am unsure as to whether I should postpone to next cycle. [...] I have a poor undergrad gpa with a 2.8. [...] I still need to get a good lsat score for a chance at a T1 or T2 university, and to get some scholarship money.

If your undergraduate GPA is 2.8, I would advise you to hold off until you receive a higher score (e.g. mid-160s).

• emilianoromero21emilianoromero21 Core Member
    68 karma

@FixedDice said:

[...] I know I can do better and am unsure as to whether I should postpone to next cycle. [...] I have a poor undergrad gpa with a 2.8. [...] I still need to get a good lsat score for a chance at a T1 or T2 university, and to get some scholarship money.

If your undergraduate GPA is 2.8, I would advise you to hold off until you receive a higher score (e.g. mid-160s).

Thanks for your input. My inclination is to do that. I am fairly sure I’d get into a t3 and maybe some t2 schools, but I really would like to stave off debt where I can. Also, given my girlfriend’s career, I’m sort of limited in where I can go, to be honest.

• nycgal90nycgal90 Alum Member
    149 karma

I am very interested in this discussion because I am in exactly the same boat as you. I had an undergrad GPA of 2.8, simply because I wasn't focused and went through some rough patches. I've been in the workforce now for 6 years (I'm 28 years old) and managed to get good work references. Naively I took the LSAT last November with very little study and got a 144. I'm looking to get between a 160-165. It's going to be hard work but I know I can do it. I wanted to take the March LSAT so I could apply for this cycle, however now I realize I won't achieve my full potential so I decided I am going to take it in September. It sucks having to put off what you want to do for another year, but I think in the end it will be worth it. I think since you are looking to get into a T1 or T2 school that you should consider doing the same.

Do you have any tips on how you achieved to get your score in the 160's for PT's? How long did you study for? I need all the motivation I can get.

• nick97024nick97024 Alum Member
    15 karma

If you think you can get a higher score and are gunning for scholly, my vote would be to retake it and apply next cycle.

68 karma

Yeah? I’m still torn but I’m inclined to wait. Don’t know if I’m playing it too cautious though

68 karma

@nycgal90 said:
    I am very interested in this discussion because I am in exactly the same boat as you. I had an undergrad GPA of 2.8, simply because I wasn't focused and went through some rough patches. I've been in the workforce now for 6 years (I'm 28 years old) and managed to get good work references. Naively I took the LSAT last November with very little study and got a 144. I'm looking to get between a 160-165. It's going to be hard work but I know I can do it. I wanted to take the March LSAT so I could apply for this cycle, however now I realize I won't achieve my full potential so I decided I am going to take it in September. It sucks having to put off what you want to do for another year, but I think in the end it will be worth it. I think since you are looking to get into a T1 or T2 school that you should consider doing the same.

Do you have any tips on how you achieved to get your score in the 160's for PT's? How long did you study for? I need all the motivation I can get.

@nycgal90 said:

@nycgal90 said:

It took me a long while, like a year. I started off with a 142 diagnostic. Read a lot of lsat trainer and drilled like mad. Went through a burnout period and my performance dipped, but the lsat demon helped a ton. Consistency is my biggest issue.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

If debt is an issue (and it should be for everyone), I'd hold out and try to bump it that LSAT up a few more point. n=1: I have a 2.73 / 163. 25 years of military service. Every decision received this cycle has been acceptance (7 of 8 applications, last one went under review ~2 weeks ago). T1 and T2 schools. Here's the crux. While I have been admitted, I've received scholarships at only 3 of the 7 schools. 1 almost full ride, 1 ~70%, and 1 50% offer. I've also received no scholarship at 3 schools where my LSAT was at and above 75%. Scholarship indexing is real and schools definitely do it. You can overcome your GPA in getting accepted. Overcoming it and getting scholarships is a different story.

TL;DR: Overcoming a sub 3 GPA for admissions is possible. Getting scholarship money with sub 3 GPA is significantly different.

Good luck.

• 246 karma

@emilianoromero21 said:
    This is my second time taking the test, after I completely bombed my first with a 155. In my last 3 PTs I had a 163, a 164, and a 166, respectively. I know I can do better and am unsure as to whether I should postpone to next cycle. To add more to my dilemma, I have a poor undergrad gpa with a 2.8. I am 4 (27 years old, ftw) years out of undergrad with tons of valuable professional experiences and solid references, though I know I still need to get a good lsat score for a chance at a T1 or T2 university, and to get some scholarship money.

I am also in a very serious relationship and we are considering starting a family in the next few years. Should I wait for the next cycle or just apply now? Your input is greatly appreciated

If you are seriously looking for admission to a first tier school or money to a second tier then I think you pretty much have to retake here and apply next cycle . A 2.8/160 just isn’t going to be enough unless you have done something incredible that you are leaving out. If you are hitting a 166 on PTs then I think this is even more of a no brainer. That’s a significant difference and with a little more study you could certainly get higher. I know it’s probably frustrating because your at a later stage in life than the average law applicant and you might feel Pressured to apply now, but taking one more year to hit your full potential on the LSAT would almost definitely be worth it.