Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Visiting Schools Before Hearing Back?

LauraC829LauraC829 Alum Member
edited February 2019 in Law School Admissions 218 karma

Hi all! I submitted my apps late in the cycle (late Jan. and early Feb.) since I was waiting for my January LSAT score. I'm thinking of using the next few Fridays to visit schools since I don't expect to hear back for some time (just went complete) and my LSAT score could've been a few points higher... Before I book transport, do you think it's best to wait to hear back or that it's not worth the money/PTO days? I was thinking of sitting in on classes or speaking to admissions and writing LOCI's to strengthen my applications. Specifically talking about schools in DC (& UVA) and in Boston. Appreciate the input!!

Comments

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

To make the most of your investment of time and resources, it might be better to wait until you hear back (admitted or WL) before visiting. If admitted, you can use your visit to make a fully informed decision. If WL'd, then you will have ample material to write about in a Why X Law School essay and/or LOCI. However, if this is the time you can set aside to visit schools, you should definitely visit! Make sure you contact the admissions offices and let them know that you are visiting on a particular day and wish to speak with an admissions officer and if possible, a current student (the best resources!). When you visit, have 3-5 solid questions you would like to ask the AO. For example: what % of students participate in clinics/journals; what % of 1L students participate in on-campus-recruiting for summer associate positions; what are you study abroad programs. Do your research into the school and its programs. If you visit before a final decision on your file is made, you will want to make a favorable impression as your visit and conversation with the AO will likely be written up in your file. Good luck!

• LauraC829LauraC829 Alum Member
    218 karma

@"selene.steelman" said:
    To make the most of your investment of time and resources, it might be better to wait until you hear back (admitted or WL) before visiting. If admitted, you can use your visit to make a fully informed decision. If WL'd, then you will have ample material to write about in a Why X Law School essay and/or LOCI. However, if this is the time you can set aside to visit schools, you should definitely visit! Make sure you contact the admissions offices and let them know that you are visiting on a particular day and wish to speak with an admissions officer and if possible, a current student (the best resources!). When you visit, have 3-5 solid questions you would like to ask the AO. For example: what % of students participate in clinics/journals; what % of 1L students participate in on-campus-recruiting for summer associate positions; what are you study abroad programs. Do your research into the school and its programs. If you visit before a final decision on your file is made, you will want to make a favorable impression as your visit and conversation with the AO will likely be written up in your file. Good luck!

Thank you so much! Very helpful :)

• LAWYEREDLAWYERED Alum Member
    335 karma

I have started to visit some of the schools near me (within a two hour drive) even if I haven't received a WL/decision. I think it's worth it to wait if visiting the schools would require flights + hotels + PTO, etc. But, if not--I'd recommend driving out and visiting so that when you have to put down a deposit, you don't feel uninformed and rushed. Especially since I've heard that since we're late applicants (I submitted in mid-Feb), they're going to give us kinda late decisions (March and April as opposed to the kids that submitted in December who might've already received theirs)