Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

pointers for necessary assumption questions?!

tayanthony31tayanthony31 Core Member

I am having a hard time with necessary assumption questions. I understand the question type but when it comes to the answer choices I always end up picking the SA question. did anyone else have issues with this that could help me out. In the curriculum I only got 2 correct so im a bit concerned. also does anyone know how frequent these questions are on the lsat?

Comments

• d__villad__villa Alum Member
    98 karma

I absolutely started off struggling with NA questions.. I found myself over analyzing and not focusing on the structure of the argument. I took a step back and decided to really break apart the stimulus by identifying context, premise(s), and conclusion. Focus heavily on the premise and conclusion and forget the rest. Once I did that I reminded myself that I am looking for what is absolutely necessary for this argument to be true. The necessary assumption does technically strengthen the argument but just in the slightest way. You're essentially just trying to make it barely valid. I would then go through the answer choices an let the answer choices tell me what must be necessary.. It's easy for us to make assumptions but we must let the stimulus/answer choices do the work for us. It will start becoming more intuitive, don't worry! Hope that helps..

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

This thread has some helpful advice:
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/133327