Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have done nothing but waste time since graduating college?

tayanthony31tayanthony31 Core Member
in General 81 karma

so I graduated in dec of 2017 and it has be tough for me because of the job market. I just feel as if i must be unhirable or something. My plan was to get a “real” job and then go to law school but that has not worked out. Ive been working at the same job involving children and a few volunteer opportunities but thats it. I really just want to create a strong application but i feel like i have nothing to offer what should i do? Ive applied to nearly 100 jobs im seriously dishearted there.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Friends of mine have had tremendous luck with headhunters. Hiring professional help for your résumé is another option. Others have had to move across the country or to major cities to find the jobs they wanted.

What types of job(s) are you interested in? More importantly, which ones do you think you’re most qualified for?

You can still create a strong application. You didn’t graduate that long ago and everyone understands how tough the job market is for recent grads.

• J.CHRIS.ALSTJ.CHRIS.ALST Alum Member
    399 karma

@Alex said:
    Friends of mine have had tremendous luck with headhunters.

^ This was my experience as well. Moved from small market general practice assistant job to biglaw paralegal in DC because I stumbled upon a very helpful, established DC area recruiter on LinkedIn. If you come across the right recruiter and have any marketable skills or a past that shows you're committed, the odds of you finding something, compared to continuously applying on job boards/sites, is better (based on my experience).

Also, you could try looking up your local legal aid clinic to see if they have volunteer opportunities. During my last semester of college (winter/spring of 2017), I volunteered as a receptionist a few times a week at the local legal clinic. They were desperate to have me there. It wasn't rocket science but it was something to add to my resume and did give me insight on the type of work they do. There are also organizations that work exclusively with immigrants and their legal issues, that is also a possible place to look for volunteer opportunities. It's weird, and you likely are already aware of this, but sometimes you have to be willing to work for free before you can get your foot in the door. My internship during school was unpaid, volunteering was obviously unpaid, and then my first legal full time job paid less than $10/hour. Talk about a tough market.

Most of all, understand that your situation is merely temporary. I've been in a similar situation; I've had family members in similar situations; we are often our harshest critics. Your time has not been wasted. At the very least you've matured all while still wanting to attend law school, and if you were to definitively change your mind tomorrow about your goals - still - none of this would constitute as time wasted as it would be exactly what you needed to go through to get where you're going.

• tayanthony31tayanthony31 Core Member
    81 karma

yeah ive tried every job I could think of. my goal was to be a community organizer.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

If this is the case: "I've been working at the same job involving children and a few volunteer opportunities," you haven't done nothing. Not to say things aren't stressful--I'm sure they are sometimes, but it sounds like you've been working and you'll be fine.

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    If this is the case: "I've been working at the same job involving children and a few volunteer opportunities," you haven't done nothing. Not to say things aren't stressful--I'm sure they are sometimes, but it sounds like you've been working and you'll be fine.

Agreed! And between a job involving children and volunteer opportunities, you can definitely spin that into a compelling or cohesive narrative when you eventually apply.

• ptklwa543ptklwa543 Alum Member
    42 karma

I was in this situation for a brief period when I graduated from undergrad. Instead of applying for jobs, I started meeting with temp agencies. Temp positions often "convert" which is when they offer you full-time employment at the end of your contract. It's also great because recruiters at the temp agencies will work with you to revise your resume to make it really shine before sending you out to the companies that have hired them to do the recruiting. I also recommend volunteering as much as possible. You will make connections in random ways with other volunteers and that will help with the job search. You never know when a fellow volunteer or their spouse has connections that can help you find a job. Both scenarios have worked for me in the past. Best of luck in the job search!

• ptklwa543ptklwa543 Alum Member
    edited February 2019 42 karma

Also, it sounds like you're concerned about building a strong application for law school. Don't worry! It's all about spin and being able to tell your story in a compelling way. I recommend digging deep and thinking about all the things you do that can be crafted into meaningful experiences. For instance, I added ALL of my experiences in undergrad into my law school resume, like acting as a mentor to a younger student or attending unique dance lessons. I also added in that I was in an employee resource group at my workplace. I think the point is to show who you are as a person and that you have interesting interests so from that standpoint, anything goes. It's really just about spinning it to convey that they meaningful experiences that have shaped your character. (Just to clarify, I am currently a law student.)

• tayanthony31tayanthony31 Core Member
    81 karma

Thank you all for the words of encouragement. I completely forgot I made this discussion. Im working on ways I can spin a narrative from what ive been doing thus far and hopefully I can come up with something compelling

• GenTheJudgeGenTheJudge Core Member
    edited October 2021 60 karma

I hope things worked out for you (: