Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unsolicited Fee Waivers 3 Days from the Deadline?

My undergraduate alma mater (top 10 school) received my LSAT score, emailed me a fee waiver, and told me the application deadline is tomorrow. Every instinct in me is telling me no, but an internal devil is telling me WHAT DO I HAVE TO LOSE?!

GAH.

Comments

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

I agree with your internal devil lol. The only thing you'll lose is the $45 CAS fee. If you think you'll regret not submitting an app, then definitely do it. Shoot your shot! Good luck.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited February 2019 1804 karma

an internal devil is telling me WHAT DO I HAVE TO LOSE?!

Your odds are quite low at this point (unless you happen to have something like... I don't know, +3.9 GPA and +174 LSAT). If you get rejected and reapply to the same school next cycle, you will be deemed a reapplicant, meaning that your chance of admission to the school may be significantly lower.

And I found that a good number of top programs don't grant fee waivers to reapplicants. Might have been just me, of course. Since it's your alma mater, you might be lucky.

• LAWYEREDLAWYERED Alum Member
    335 karma

I would shoot your shot lol. What do you have to lose??? Especially if you don't think you'll reapply down the road.

• PeaceofmindPeaceofmind Alum Member
    446 karma

@FixedDice said:

Your odds are quite low at this point (unless you happen to have something like... I don't know, +3.9 GPA and +174 LSAT). If you get rejected and reapply to the same school next cycle, you will be deemed a reapplicant, meaning that your chance of admission to the school may be significantly lower.

A little more on this: according to Spivey, reapplying will hurt only if you were previously admitted but turned their offer down. If you are rejected and reapply next cycle, that will actually help a bit because they see you as yield protection now.
    Also anecdotally, this cycle has been slow so applying late might not hurt as much? I’m not sure but I’m contemplating whether to shoot my shot with a March score too :-)

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@KarateMaster said:

@FixedDice said:

A little more on this: according to Spivey, reapplying will hurt only if you were previously admitted but turned their offer down. If you are rejected and reapply next cycle, that will actually help a bit because they see you as yield protection now.
    Also anecdotally, this cycle has been slow so applying late might not hurt as much? I’m not sure but I’m contemplating whether to shoot my shot with a March score too :-)

This is more accurate. Reapplying after a rejection does not hurt anything. The only risk is reapplying after a school accepted you. This cycle is one of the friendlier ones to late applicants as well - there are people who applied in October and still don’t have all their decisions yet. Thing are moving sloooow. I may be biased though because I did the same thing. I applied to Michigan 5 days after their deadline, and it was already a reach for me. 😂 Advisable? NOPE. But hey... why not?

As a point of anecdata, this is my 2nd year applying. I already have 2 acceptances to schools that WL’d me last year. 3 acceptances to schools that also accepted me last year. One of those gave me significantly more in scholarship money the 2nd time, and one gave significantly less. A number of decisions still up in the air. But at this point, I’m very happy with my decision to reapply.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

I stand corrected!