LORs - format

Do LORs need to be in any particular format; addressed to each school, LSAC? How long should they be (roughly)? I understand you should not fill a paper with empty words, but how concise is too concise?

Also, is it important that the letter actually say somewhere "letter of recommendation"? I had one recommender put "in reference to: my name", "asked to serve as a reference," etc.

I'd appreciate any input. Thank you!

Comments

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

The structure of the letter should be about a page using a official school or company header depending on who your writer is. It does not need to say letter of recommendation on the actual letter (they'll know). There are good examples on Google.

1. In LSAC there is a page for putting in the information about your writers. Fill in their name, email, title, etc. and your recommender will receive a email from LSAC on how to upload their letters.

2. If your recommenders submit the letter, you will get a email notification from LSAC. From LSAC's page, you can now assign the letters to the schools you're applying to and it'll be included in your law school reports along with your transcripts and LSAT score.

3. Extra tip: make sure your letters of rec address your ability to succeed in law schools. For example, have your professors mention your writing or communication abilities.

Let me know if you have additional questions. Also take care of these early.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

Almost forgot, but you do not need to personalize your letter for each school. I think only Stanford asks for letters to directly address them, but that's not a requirement. Simply have your recommender write "to whom it may concern" or something to that effect.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

The LOR should be on company/university letterhead and have a date. It may be addressed to To Whom It May Concern. Letters should be between 1-2 pages and speak about the recommender's relationship with the candidate, the recommender's assessment of the candidate work product as a student/employee, and the recommender's thoughts about the candidate's future potential as a law student and law professional. Hopefully the recommender is familiar with the candidate and his goals and can write with some personal and specific knowledge. If the recommender states somewhere that s/he is recommending the candidate for law school, that could be helpful. Otherwise, an LOR reads like a generic recommendation for future graduate study, which isn't necessarily bad, but it may indicate that the letter was written before the candidate decided on going to law school or that the recommender doesn't know or care enough to realize it is a law school recommendation. Good luck!

• jasmine.lsatterjasmine.lsatter Alum Member
    72 karma

Thanks, all! I appreciate everyone's input.

One of my LORs is from a graduate student instructor whom I worked closely with. They are no longer at the University and we do not work together. Should they still put it on their company's letterhead?