Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Status Checker Question

BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member

Hey guys and girls, quick question:
How often do you check the status of your applications? I do it about once a month so far. Is there any reason to check it more often?
Thanks =)

Comments

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Wow! Once a month?! I will be applying next cycle, but I think I will be anxiously checking every morning and night haha, but that's just me. I wish I had your patience! Tbh, I don't think there is any reason to be checking too often because it's not like it will just magically appear. Do they often send emails as well if there are changes? Otherwise, I think your patience is probably serving you well! :smiley:

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

You are much more zen about checking them than I am.😂

I try to keep myself to checking them once about mid-morning or so. Usually just on weekdays since I’m on my computer at work already. Weekends I mostly stay away from it (there’s only rarely movement on weekends anyway).

The reason why many folks check them obsessively is that sometimes stays checkers update prior to the school actually sending you an email with your decision. Sometimes this may be only an hour or less prior, sometimes it is several hours. And in the case of schools that send decisions via snail mail (most don’t, except I recall a few who will send dings and WLs via snail mail only), you may find out days earlier. Michigan is also a rare school that updates its status checker on a daily basis. So every day that you login, it will tell you what stage your application is at (though of course, prior to a decision, it mostly just says under review). There are also some schools that basically don’t update the status checker (UCLA), so it’s pretty much meaningless.

So there you have it. I try not to check it more than once per day, but there is a chance that the checker will show your decision before you receive the official notification.

And @Princess: no, they basically don’t email you at all when there are changes (like different stages of review). You generally will get an email once your application is received, and then again when it is marked complete, but that is about it. After that, they will only contact you once a decision is reached.

• SLP_futureJDSLP_futureJD Alum Member
    464 karma

@Bamboosprout stay strong! I envy you. I check mine about twice a day- once in the am and once in the pm. Really liked when I wasn’t so obsessive...I can thank discovering reddit for that. If you haven’t already started stalking Reddit, don’t! 😂

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

If you haven’t already started stalking Reddit, don’t! 😂

Too late. I never had a choice.

@"Leah M B" said:
    You are much more zen about checking them than I am.😂

Hmmm, ok. I think I'll take it easy on the status checker, then.

@Princess said:
    Do they often send emails as well if there are changes? Otherwise, I think your patience is probably serving you well! :smiley:

I think they generally will send an email for important matters. I consider status changes (Waiting for material, on hold, under review, waitlist, rejection and acceptance) to be important matters.