Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips needed from LG high scorers!

DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
in Logic Games 550 karma

The section I have the most trouble on is Logic Games, Ive drilled and fool proofed many many games but I still end up missing around 5-7 questions on preptests. If I can improve on my LG I will be borderline at 170. I was wondering if any 7sagers, that score high on the LG sections, can provide any tips and/or insight on how they study or approach LG sections. Thank you in advance!!

Comments

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

I averaged between -0 to -3. I think the big thing, beyond developing fast inference ability/when and how to make worlds/best game board strategy, is adaptability. On the new tests you're probably going to experience a "weird" game, so you have to be able to adapt to it. So, I'd say in addition to drilling game types, also always do a set of games you've never seen before. Do old tests, like PT 10-20. Some of those games are really hard (I think the hardest I ever did was somewhere between 17-26, in that yellow LSAC book). If you're comfortable with doing games, you won't freak out as much when you get one that is unlike you've seen before. It's usually that game that ruins test takers' test day. Good luck!

• DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
    550 karma

@Louislepauvre Yes!! This is true, on the last two LSATs I did come across 1 weird game, thank you. Also thank you for the tips I greatly appreciate the help, Cheers!!

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Hey! I definitely that it can be helpful to foolproof 1-35 because it has so many different games that fall in the "MISC" category. Sometimes, you just need to be exposed to different games as well. I try my best to keep a logic games folder and then I revisit those games. The more time we spend away from games, the harder it becomes to adapt to new games. I think it would be best to just practice old games, keep track of the games, aim to get it in the time recommended, and keep practicing! Sometimes, we need to try the new games. I plan to take the recent tests as I get closer to my test date, but the games are changing and getting more random.

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

My trick was to use them like tiny little study tidbits, since they're usually aiming for 4-15 minutes. I would do them all the time, whenever I had a few minutes to squeeze in (you can sort for the shorter/easier games on 7Sage).

10 minutes before you have to leave the house? Do a logic game. 30 minutes before the TV show starts? Logic game. I didn't start doing this until later in my studying, of course, but I do think it helped cement the principles of logic games into being second nature.

• KeepCalmKeepCalm Alum Member
    edited March 2019 807 karma

Hello! Do you mind if I ask how many logic games you have fool proofed? (A ballpark figure) :wink:
    I unequivocally recommend the fool proof method BUT if you still seem to have trouble improving despite constant fool proofing then there could be other conditions that need be met (let me know how many games and I will continue to brainstorm!)

• 246 karma

@DivineRaze said:
    The section I have the most trouble on is Logic Games, Ive drilled and fool proofed many many games but I still end up missing around 5-7 questions on preptests. If I can improve on my LG I will be borderline at 170. I was wondering if any 7sagers, that score high on the LG sections, can provide any tips and/or insight on how they study or approach LG sections. Thank you in advance!!

I probably started around -8,-9 and consistently go 0-1 now. There is nothing sexy about the fool proof method and no one wants to do the same game 7 times, but this works. What I did was print out a ton of the old tests and take a couple weekends just going through game after game after game. Then watch the video for any game that you didn’t actually dominate and foolproof until you feel like you totally control the game. I also redid the games section every time I took a recent PT no matter what and went through all of 7 sage’s CC along with the powerscore LG bible. The key for me was finding a balance between trying to make inferences and just attacking the game. I tend to gravitate more towards splitting the game boards up front whenever possible now.

550 karma

@hawaiihi I will definitely be giving this a try! Thank you!!

550 karma

@KeepCalm Honestly I have foolproofed probably the latest 10-15 preptests. Ive done all the preptests from 18-86 but I have only foolproofed the hardest ones from the more recent tests. The issue im having is that I will get around 1 wrong on three of the games then possibly 90% wrong on one of the games. That is what really drops me down on points.

550 karma

@"Better every day" I more of less figured out when to just attack the game and split up game boards and try and solve them out before I attack the questions. Regardless I will print out some of the old and recent tests and try to have them foolproofed to be in full control. Thank you for the insight I appreciate it!!

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

@DivineRaze said:
    @hawaiihi I will definitely be giving this a try! Thank you!!

Yes!! It's especially great to get your foolproofing in. And also, BTW, I foolproofed EVERY game that I couldn't get -0 on or couldn't finish in time, not just from PTs 1-35. Like if I did PT 63, and got some wrong on that LG section, I would foolproof all of those too.

• KeepCalmKeepCalm Alum Member
    807 karma

@DivineRaze said:
    @KeepCalm Honestly I have foolproofed probably the latest 10-15 preptests. Ive done all the preptests from 18-86 but I have only foolproofed the hardest ones from the more recent tests. The issue im having is that I will get around 1 wrong on three of the games then possibly 90% wrong on one of the games. That is what really drops me down on points.

@DivineRaze Thank you for sharing your details! I was in a much similar situation. Here is what I did :smile:

I wanted to start slow to ease my mind and not feel overwhelmed. Starting with PT 1, I began fool-proofing each and every game (one by one) in order. (I kept a timer running just for analytics but I did not press myself on time) Eventually, I noticed I was completing each game much sooner than before with more confidence in my answers each time. The inferences I made seemed so natural they were like reflexes. Not to mention how much my endurance had increased! I wanted to keep doing more games because they actually seemed like games! They became so fun and methodical! Now games is my absolute favorite section :joy: