Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Noobie here. Should I take gaming section under timed condition?

paul.sellaripaul.sellari Alum Member
in Logic Games 61 karma

For me, taking the Logical Reasoning and Reading sections under timed condition makes a lot of sense. Since I have a bad habit of taking my sweet time, and this will train me to read faster, etc.. However, I am really struggling with doing the game section on time. If I sit there and take as much time as I need, I actually do kind of well. However, if I have to do it under time, I will end up guessing most of my answers.

So, my question is: should I practice logic games for my prep tests at the time I'm comfortable at, and then work on my speed?

Or, should I always take it the first time under timed condition?

Thank y'all so much for your time,

Paul

Comments

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

Hi! I would recommend this post on a good LG attack strategy: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy/p1

What most people do here, as did I, is follow a foolproofing strategy like the above in which you do individual games using a stopwatch (rather than a timer). Do them as you're able to and stop the clock after. If it takes, like, 30 minutes to do one game, that's okay! Then watch the video, as @Pacifico says, and go through the foolproofing method. Eventually, you'll speed up on that game and future ones as well.

• KeepCalmKeepCalm Alum Member
    807 karma

I agree with @hawaiihi :smiley: the Pacifico method is great and he describes the fool-proof method step-by-step! & definitely use a stopwatch rather than a timer! Keep a record of your time for analytics but do not feel alarmed by the numbers--they will go down! If you routinely practice the games you will see improvement.

By the way, I am very glad you mentioned this: "if I have to do it under time, I will end up guessing most of my answers" this is precisely why doing logic games under timed constraints during the early stages of prep can be counter effective: we do not exercise our skills because we are racing to keep up with the clock. Whereas practicing games without the added anxiety of time allows you to:

1. Read the rules carefully and efficiently
    2. Properly set up your diagram
    3. Make valid inferences and deductions
    4. (Gracefully) Attack the questions! :tongue:

In time, you will see a difference in how much quicker you are able to carry out those steps! Each game will bring you closer to your goal with each attempt becoming second nature to you!

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    edited March 2019 821 karma

Hey! I just wanted to give these extra tips that have been helpful for me. Basically, I decided to print off the logic games bundle which was like all the games from PTs 1-35. I also added to the binder if I did a PT and would just put the games into the binder afterwards. I’ve been using google sheets to track my time, how many I got wrong, what date I first took the test, and more. If I got it wrong the first time, it goes in the second binder which is for more practice. If I missed questions, I would highlight it in red. I highlight in yellow if I had timing problems or if I’m just not 100% confident in the game and got lucky. I move those games to the second binder.

So, I’ll do like 10 PTs, move games accordingly to the second binder, redo the games, and see if there is improvement. If there is improvement, I move the games in the yellow tab for “practice”, but if I still suck…they stay in the red tab.

Usually, I just try the game, time myself, and step away from it. I will try to finish atleast 4 games. Then, I look over the games once more and decide if I want to stick to the answers or not. Which is sort of my BR, I guess. Then, I check the games!

Hopefully, that is helpful!