Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ask about your chances?

Hello everyone, I haven't taken the LSAT yet but I was wondering if this is something that is normal. Once you have an LSAT score can you email admissions offices and give them your basic info (LSAT score, gpa, etc) and ask them what your chances are of admission before applying to that law school? Is that a normal thing to do?
Thanks!

Comments

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

I so much would not do this.

1. It reeks of desperation.

2. It signals to an admissions office that you are not willing to do basic internet research using the vast array of available resources (ABA 509 reports, LSAC's / 7Sage's predictors, lawschoolnumbers, etc).

3. There is no way a phone call replaces all of the unique "you" in an application and gives someone anything beyond a statistical analysis of your numbers. Any answer you get is either someone patting you on your head and reassuring you 'its all good' or conversely underestimating the power of your unique soft aspects.

Crush the LSAT. Submit the best application you can. Speaking as someone who got into a school at which the predictors (note 2) gave me a 4-14% chance of getting in, trust the process and shoot your shots. Some assessment from whatever random person in an admissions office picks up the phone holds almost no value to you.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

Use this site: https://mylsn.info/dispresults.php

Probably a more comprehensive tool and more accurate than anything an adcomm can tell you.

• baileybrett8693baileybrett8693 Alum Member
    9 karma

Thanks!

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Having been on the receiving end of thousands of such emails and calls, I would strongly discourage you from doing this. No one can give you a truthful answer about your chances based on just numbers in an email, from a short phone conversation, or during a meet and greet at a forum. Research the school's entering class profile and see if your numbers are close to the range. If you DO email the AO, it is better to arm yourself with actual questions about the school's programming strengths and your particular legal interests. This way, the school gets your name and contact info in their database of prospective students, and you can start receiving information about prospective student events, faculty accomplishments, law school events, etc. This will give you more insight into the law school and whether or not it will be a good fit for you. It will also provide more talking points for later emails or calls with the AO as you go through the application cycle. If you can establish a good relationship with an AO, they could keep a special eye on your file when it comes up for review. Good luck!

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

I'm agreeing with the above. They can't make an admissions calculation on the spot like this, but the medians and calculator websites can give you a bird's eye view.