Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

149 on third LSAT take, give up??

604wannabealawyer604wannabealawyer Alum Member
edited March 2019 in General 94 karma

Hi there,

I have been studying for the LSAT for almost about a year (maybe some breaks in between) but I did take three months to study for one take and another few months for my earlier. I haven't seen any improvements in my scores. I've wanted to go to law school for as long as I can remember and I think I've studied really hard despite the shitty outcome. I did have test day jitters on my third attempt seeing that I had a lot of pressure riding on that Jan 2019 LSAT. My GPA is roughly 3.71 and my work/volunteer references are great as well as personal statement. But I know that law school is a numbers game. Lately, I've been having doubts. I got accepted into Leicester and Birmingham in the UK but I know what the risks are roughly so that is a last option for me. Can I improve somehow or should I learn to cut my losses?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited March 2019 23929 karma

What were your PT scores leading up to the test?

And when you say no improvement, i wonder if you mean at all, or just on your official takes?

How have you been studying?

I tried Powerscore and The LSAT Trainer before 7Sage and saw close to no improvement. It wasn’t because powerscore or The LSAT Trainer were bad, either (I actually think both are great!). It just wasn’t what worked for me or my learning style. Without knowing more, one thing that is obvious is that whatever you’ve been doing is not working.

So I’d probably recommend trying something different. I’d also get a tutor and have someone who can guide you through the process.

But yeah, at some point you do have to consider cutting your losses. Being a lawyer is just another job. A lifetime ago my dream was the very job I’m trying to escape by going to law school. Mostly because it was just a dream... I’m a big fan of giving up when I realize I’m on the wrong path. But the only way to know for sure is to do everything in your power to give it all you’ve got! If you haven’t done that, then I say keep going!

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

I wouldn't focus on the score but more on what kind of improvement if any you have done. When you say there is no improvement do you mean that when you PT that your score stays the same or below the 149?? Or are your official scores below the 149 or have they slowly gone up? Have you kept your pattern of studying the same? or have you changed it up? If it has stayed the same then maybe its time to change things up. Mayve 7Sage is not for you or maybe you need a different type of study method. I think taking some time to analyze how you have been studying, what kind of distractions you have that keep you from studying effectively and what your ultimately goal is, will help you in making long-term decisions.

As far as giving up - that is totally on how you feel and what is your goal score and your goal school. Some people want that 170+ and will stop at nothing to get there. For others, a low 150's score will get them to their school. And I think every one of us decides whether law is worth the lengthy study time or whether we are done with it after some time. We can't tell you whether you should cut your losses or go to something else because we are not you and really, you are the only one that can make that decision. But make it an informed decision - do what you need to do to figure out what kind of changes you need to make and if you are willing to make those changes.

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Hey! I think it would really depend on what exactly you're trying to improve and what areas you're struggling with. I had to go through the course for the second time too and it's just been me trying to figure out new ways to improve. This is some general advise I have and I posted it before:

Logical Reasoning/ Drilling:
    Depending on which areas you think you could improve in, I might suggest that you do some timed sections of LR and RC. This will just get you a bit more experience with the test. Make sure you continue to foolproof the games because they always do need practice. It may even be helpful to do "confidence drills" which is something that is mentioned in the post CC videos, if you've seen those. I feel like that could be helpful to just time yourself in a section and try to see how many times you're getting it right on first insticts.

With the Pts, you want to make sure that are BR'ing correctly. You want to make sure you don't skip through videos because the way JY explains the WRONG answers is so much more helpful than just getting the RIGHT answer right. You want to know why something is wrong, how that wrong answer could have been correct, and how it may be the correct answer in future logical reasoning questions.Depending on your weak areas that you will find in analytics, you could then target those certain question types and drill those sets!

Logic Games FoolProof BINDER TECHNIQUE
    Once you have finished the lessons of the Logic Games, you are going to print off the the logic games bundle which has EVERY game from tests 1-35. Now those games, you want to do atleast 1 game EVERY DAY. Make piles, time yourself, repeat the ones you miss, continue the next day, and don't stop. The piles get bigger, it gets frusterating, keep watching the videos, and you will be fine.

Basically, I decided to print off the logic games bundle which was like all the games from PTs 1-35. I also added to the binder if I did a PT and would just put the games into the binder afterwards. I’ve been using google sheets to track my time, how many I got wrong, what date I first took the test, and more. If I got it wrong the first time, it goes in the second binder which is for more practice. If I missed questions, I would highlight it in red. I highlight in yellow if I had timing problems or if I’m just not 100% confident in the game and got lucky. I move those games to the second binder.

So, I’ll do like 10 PTs, move games accordingly to the second binder, redo the games, and see if there is improvement. If there is improvement, I move the games in the yellow tab for “practice”, but if I still suck…they stay in the red tab.

Usually, I just try the game, time myself, and step away from it. I will try to finish atleast 4 games. Then, I look over the games once more and decide if I want to stick to the answers or not. Which is sort of my BR, I guess. Then, I check the games! For the logic games, I swear it will just click because they just are repeated over and over.

This gives you more of a rubric to go off from because you learn what areas you're still weak in. This time you DRILL those areas, such as flaw quesitons or strengthen questions. You will get better slowly. Don't forget to BR all of these.

Now as you're studying, drilling, doing logic games, then start the RC and just try to see how JY does it. Look at different strategies and implement those. Depending on that, you want to take the test and keep BRing, then taking more tests! I went from a 144 (i think? maybe 143? idk) to a 162-165 in about 3.5 months. I am still studying and trying to take my time with the course, and am hoping to get a 170 by July. I definetly think you can get into the 160s, but it's going to be ridiculous amount of work! It will all be worth it though!

• 604wannabealawyer604wannabealawyer Alum Member
    94 karma

Hi guys,

Sorry I took a break to focus on work - thanks for all the helpful comments :)

Yes passive studying is not working for me and video explanations and group studying at least for going over questions might be useful for me. I took a course through PowerScore and have been watching 7sage videos for help on Logic Games. I spent roughly 8 hours studying a day (I've taken a bit of a break since the Jan LSAT) although I feel like it was hard to focus at the time. But maybe drilling questions I've done again and watching the videos will help for LR and RC because those were arguably my worst sections. I've been mainly using the free techniques offered on the website and studying by myself otherwise. I'm starting up again today so wish me luck.

The pattern is pretty much the same - I get maybe in the low 150's but one time I did get a 157. That could have been sheer luck though.

• _aisling__aisling_ Alum Member
    289 karma

I'm not sure what's available for free, but if you haven't been able to do the Core Curriculum, it's worth paying for it (I have the most basic subscription for about $200). I think especially if you are struggling with LR it might be helpful.

I would say, since you're thinking that in-person social learning might work better for you, sign up for a paid account here so that you have access to the CC (if you haven't been able to yet) and then find a study buddy or multiple study buddies with whom you can work through questions.