Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My first raw score was absolutely terrible

tayanthony31tayanthony31 Core Member
in General 81 karma

After 4 long months of serious studying I took my first Practice test and... yikes. Not good. It was a 137 but when i blind reviewed I ended up with a 157. Is that big of a gap normal?

Comments

• pstroud97pstroud97 Member
    137 karma

I think it shows that timing is more of an issue for you than understanding. I wouldn't be too concerned about a gap like that to begin with. I'd start doing some timed drills for the question types you're missing so that you can get a "feel" for about how long you should be spending on each question. Keep working hard, and you'll improve!

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

Fool-proof first and keep practicing formal logic diagrams since those are the most trainable. That gap does strike me as a bit odd but it'll close over time.

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

What was your score breakdown, @tayanthony31 ?

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Hey! I think you're doing just fine and it's actually good that you can improve. Clearly you do know what you're doing because you're able to have a higher score with untimed sections. I would suggest that you keep practicing LR, put your information into analytics and figure out what the weakest areas were.

Drill those question types and improve on those.
    At the same time, you should be foolproofing games. It is a generally good idea to try to foolproof Pts 1-35 games, which can take time. This is where I saw my biggest jump.

If you can provide your score breakdown with the BR information as well, maybe we can discuss more ideas.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited March 2019 23929 karma

It’s only your first PT so I wouldn’t give it another thought. BR score at this point is what matters most, and your 157 is a solid BR score for having just finished the CC.

My score actually went DOWN from my diagnostic after I did the CC. Yup. Down. I was juggling 100 new strategies in my head and taking longer to answer questions and I ran out of time on almost every section.

But that’s ok! You’re just getting started on improvement now that you’ve had your first run through the CC.

Check out the webinar on study strategies for after you finish the CC. I basically followed that webinar to the word and am really happy with my results.

But definitely don’t get hung up on PT scores at this point. Your potential and the score that matters should be tied to your BR score, not the timed take at this point.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

The gap between my first PT and my BR was 20 so it's not unusual. I got destroyed by the time element because I have not been an avid reader so I read slowly. I felt rushed my first several PT's because of this and it took me a while to get over the panic associated with rushing.

Once you get more practice you'll be able to overcome the sense of rushing through and your BR score will become more similar to your timed score. My final PT was only 4 points below my final BR.