Hovering within 1-2 points of goal score over last 3-4 PTs - should I cancel March test?

ccmart4ccmart4 Free Trial Member
edited March 2019 in General 10 karma

Wondering if it’s worth taking in March since I know everyone recommends to score higher than your actual goal in PTs. I've scored at/above my goal only 2 times, most of the rest (minus the first few PTs when I was still learning everything) have been within 5 points of my goal. I’ve already taken it once so don’t want a similar score to look bad. I'm scoring in the 93-96 percentile range so not much room for error lol

Comments

• Michael.CincoMichael.Cinco Member Sage
    edited March 2019 2116 karma

I don't know if getting a similar score will make you 'look bad' as far as I know most schools only look at your best score (and if they tell you otherwise they are lying (source: https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/do-law-schools-average-lsat-scores-or-use-the-high-score))

so let's take a rational approach to this.

You're aiming for a 165+ It sounds like you've been practicing enough.

All you need to do is execute. All you need to do is hit the goal once.

Every LSAT writing is another shot.

If I am trying to get a score I would want as many shots as possible, and as long as I could afford it I would keep taking those chances until I hit.

All you'll lose is 190 dollars and a Saturday morning, but the potential gains are almost endless.

I'd take that trade off any day but that's my personal philosophy.

• aleland13aleland13 Alum Member
    158 karma

@ccmart4 I’d say take it. If you’ve hit your goal score and your PTs vary within a few points of that, I’d take that to mean that you know the material, those couple of points in variation are normal. I think it’s a myth that you will for sure score below your average on test day - it’s a possibility but it’s also possible that you’ll score right at your average or at the top of your score range. For what it’s worth I have similar score fluctuations but I feel comfortable with my last 5 PT average so I’ll be taking the March test. If I underperform, I’ll just take again in July 🤷🏽‍♀️

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Hey! I would also suggest that you drill those weaker question types or figure out if it's just a timing problem. If you're getting the questions right during BR, then it may just be due to timing. You want to look and understand why exactly you're getting them wrong. I know many people suggest recording yourself to figure out what's exactly happening and where you may be losing time. Maybe try to record yourself and see if that is helpful. It may be worth it to speak to a tutor and see if someone is able to help you make a plan that fits best for you. If you can wait and are applying for next cycle, then I would just wait and take it in July. Plus, you could still retake in September if you're not happy with your score, see your score first and cancel it, and get a free retake at the LSAT again. It may even help you get better scholarships and offers from schools if you are applying next cycle. There's no need to rush :smile:

• ccmart4ccmart4 Free Trial Member
    10 karma

Thanks for the replies everyone! I am definitely leaning towards taking it, especially because I feel like I'm sooo close to reaching my goal.

@Princess said:
    Hey! I would also suggest that you drill those weaker question types or figure out if it's just a timing problem. If you're getting the questions right during BR, then it may just be due to timing. You want to look and understand why exactly you're getting them wrong. I know many people suggest recording yourself to figure out what's exactly happening and where you may be losing time. Maybe try to record yourself and see if that is helpful. It may be worth it to speak to a tutor and see if someone is able to help you make a plan that fits best for you. If you can wait and are applying for next cycle, then I would just wait and take it in July. Plus, you could still retake in September if you're not happy with your score, see your score first and cancel it, and get a free retake at the LSAT again. It may even help you get better scholarships and offers from schools if you are applying next cycle. There's no need to rush :smile:

Thanks for the reply! Any reason you wouldn't take it in March given your advice? I could always just take it in July if I didn't do good enough this month, but would you recommend against that?

• Jacklyn AlyseJacklyn Alyse Alum Member
    5 karma

Keep in mind, you may have to use the tablet to take the test in June! If that may be an issue for you, I would take that into consideration. They are testing the tablet-use for the June LSAT and will be switching over to tablet-only in July.

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

@"Jacklyn Alyse" said:
    Keep in mind, you may have to use the tablet to take the test in June! If that may be an issue for you, I would take that into consideration. They are testing the tablet-use for the June LSAT and will be switching over to tablet-only in July.

No. I think you've been completely misinformed. The June test this year is the last paper-and-pencil test. July is the transitional month when half of the test takers are given tablets and the other half paper. Starting September, only the digital format.

• Patz4lifePatz4life Alum Member
    214 karma

In a similar spot and everyone here really eased some of my nerves. Thanks everyone!

• Jacklyn AlyseJacklyn Alyse Alum Member
    5 karma

I was informed that it is half and half