Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here is how to: foolproof without making thousands of copies

lsatjourneylsatjourney Member
edited March 2019 in Logic Games 207 karma

Hey guys,

I have been doing the fool proofing for games 1-35 and wanted to share what I do to save those trees.

1) I made one copy of all the games.
2) Placed them in plastic sleeves. (https://goo.gl/7JuuvP)
3) Use dry erase markers. (https://goo.gl/ncSw4f)
4) Use this stategy. (https://goo.gl/u8aPQL)

I place two games in each sleeves (front and back). I do my drills like 45 mins as many as I can do. Note the time for each of them in the bottom corner. By the end of it. I erase the one that I need to redo and leave the ones I did good. This way you don't have to make 5 copies of each game. Just 1 copy and tadaaa!

I take the information and note it in a pdf sheet. This is a sample of the LG tracker. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L3TW5io8o7AMCoBDLvSFr8HupWJqYynq/view?usp=sharing

Hope this helps!

Comments

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    1810 karma

I'm doing the same thing, but instead of 1-35, I'm doing all of the Games used as drills in the CC (I figure JY picked them for a reason), plus all of the ones I struggle with as I make my way through the PTs.
    Additional tips: Try your best not to use the eraser as a crutch. It's tempting but it will give you a false sense of real-test-day conditions. Also, I write the answers to each game on the back of the second sheet. So that I have easy access to check and make sure I got them all right. I don't remove a game until I can do it in JY's suggested time, get them all right AND feel like I'm master of the game. That last part is more subtle, but we all know what it means if we're being honest. I also try not to do the same game too soon after I've already familiarized myself with the right answers. I'm also not really including too many oddball games, because they're unlikely to repeat themselves.
    Question: Am I really missing out by not doing the superduper early games?!
    I'm taking in June and I don't have time to do everything :blush:

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

Good tip!

Personally, I avoided making a million copies by only printing out one copy of each game and doing my work on a separate sheet of paper. Not everyone's cup of tea but it worked for me!

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

I had one copy and did each game in a separate notebook. Just more efficient in general and easy to go back and see your old work to check on your own progress.

• _aisling__aisling_ Alum Member
    289 karma

I'm doing the same as @hawaiihi - I printed one copy of each game (so far, just the ones I've encountered in the CC as I'm not all the way through it yet). Our office has a box of half-sheets of old printing that's blank on one side that we all use as scrap paper, so I've been using one of those per game and it's the perfect amount of space for me.

I have each game in a plastic sleeve within a binder and I tuck the half-sheet scrap papers into the plastic sleeve as I finish each attempt.

In one corner of each half-sheet I write the date, the game number, my attempt number, and how long it took me.

I'm practicing with a ballpoint pen (shudder) since it seems like that's what we'll have with the digital LSAT (I'm taking in September.)

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Hey! To be honest, those drilling games are JUST NOT ENOUGH, unless you're just amazing at logic games. I wasn't and I definitely needed the other games, exposure to misc games, and just practice all the different types. 1-35 is not just one sort of game! You get exposed to so many different things that you actually don't in the logic games drilling. I am also taking the test in June/July, and I think you have MORE THAN ENOUGH time to sit down and do it. To be honest, I was able to sit down and foolproof these games in 1.5 months...that's while I was being busy. This time, I am going around and trying again to make sure I am 100% confident in the games. This is amazing because I notice what I missed around the first time. I highly suggest you do atleast the PTS 1-35 games, but even more is better.

@2ndTimestheCharm said:
    I'm doing the same thing, but instead of 1-35, I'm doing all of the Games used as drills in the CC (I figure JY picked them for a reason), plus all of the ones I struggle with as I make my way through the PTs.
    Additional tips: Try your best not to use the eraser as a crutch. It's tempting but it will give you a false sense of real-test-day conditions. Also, I write the answers to each game on the back of the second sheet. So that I have easy access to check and make sure I got them all right. I don't remove a game until I can do it in JY's suggested time, get them all right AND feel like I'm master of the game. That last part is more subtle, but we all know what it means if we're being honest. I also try not to do the same game too soon after I've already familiarized myself with the right answers. I'm also not really including too many oddball games, because they're unlikely to repeat themselves.
    Question: Am I really missing out by not doing the superduper early games?!
    I'm taking in June and I don't have time to do everything :blush:

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    1810 karma

Thank you, @Princess : I hear you! But I guess what I'm asking (and I've tried to post this question about other sections too), does it really matter which PTs we are studying? In other words, why is it better to foolproof Games 1-35, as opposed to Games 36-70? As long as we foolproof a shit ton of games? Anyone?

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

Great strategy, I'm glad my post has been helpful!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@2ndTimestheCharm said:
    Thank you, @Princess : I hear you! But I guess what I'm asking (and I've tried to post this question about other sections too), does it really matter which PTs we are studying? In other words, why is it better to foolproof Games 1-35, as opposed to Games 36-70? As long as we foolproof a shit ton of games? Anyone?

The main reason to foolproof 1-35 is to leave the newer game sections available for fresh PTs which better predict your actual score and guage your improvement. Since the other sections have changed a little too you would really prefer to take your PTs on the newer tests as much as you can.

When you take a PT you want to use sections entirely from the same test and want them to be fresh if possible so you can look at the score table and find out what your score would have been.

Once you have taken a PT though there is no reason not to foolproof its games.

You want to leave quite a few of these newer game sections for PTs in part because you don't know if you might end up retaking and needing more new PTs available and because they are a really valuable learning tool so you want to take quite a few. Full PTs also better mimic the stress of the test than just practicing one section at a time so you want to take plenty of them.

I'm sure their are old threads on this, but the old games are still similar to new ones. There are a couple more really idiosynchratic older games that don't really fall into a current category. However, games that don't perfectly fit have been popping up again more lately after a long period where it was just the standard game types.

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    edited March 2019 973 karma

@aisling said:
    I'm practicing with a ballpoint pen (shudder) since it seems like that's what we'll have with the digital LSAT (I'm taking in September.)

I did all my foolproofing with a ballpoint pen, even though I took the paper LSAT! I actually think it's a good move--it completely restricts you from erasing when you do your scratch paper work, which takes time.

Also, as @"Seeking Perfection" and @Princess say, I can't emphasize enough how useful it was to continue foolproofing every game I did, regardless if it was outside of 1-35 or if I had done them during a regular old PT.

• lsatjourneylsatjourney Member
    207 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    Great strategy, I'm glad my post has been helpful!

Great help honestly! Thank you!

• Gee-dawgGee-dawg Member
    319 karma

Can someone please explain to me what drilling and foolproofing strategies are? I noticed they are mentioned quite a bit on discussion boards
    Thank you.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited July 2019 1866 karma

@"Gee-dawg" said:
    Can someone please explain to me what drilling and foolproofing strategies are? I noticed they are mentioned quite a bit on discussion boards
    Thank you.

Lesson from CC on foolproofing: https://7sage.com/lesson/fool-proof-guide-to-perfection-on-logic-games/
    @Pacifico 's Foolproofing strategy (I did a variation of this, personally): https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy/p1

You can find a lot of the recommended drills in this Post-CC Strategies webinar by @"Cant Get Right": https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

• Gee-dawgGee-dawg Member
    319 karma

@"Habeas Porpoise" Thank you :smile: