Advice?...Withdraw from number 1 choice?...some other alternative?

ML_LSAT_KillaML_LSAT_Killa Alum Member
edited March 2019 in Law School Admissions 267 karma

So, I got accepted to my number 2 choice today with a very good scholarship. I am thrilled about this, but it does create a conundrum.

For my number one choice, I wrote a "why school x" essay and ended it with "if accepted, I will withdraw my other applications immediately". at the time, I honestly thought i had a shot at number 1 and didn't think I had a shot at number 2 at all. the other schools i applied to are very distant for me compared to these two and the two schools are similar enough to where if school no 1accepted me but didn't offer me money, i would seriously regret having to withdraw from school number 2 and losing out on the scholarship money. I applied to school number 1 first, but haven't heard anything yet, it is currently "In Review" status. So my question is should I 1) withdraw from school number 1 now. 2) is there some other option that i am not seeing that is an ethical alternative?

thanks

Comments

• ML_LSAT_KillaML_LSAT_Killa Alum Member
    edited March 2019 267 karma

@ML_LSAT_Killa said:
    So, I got accepted to my number 2 choice today with a very good scholarship. I am thrilled about this, but it does create a conundrum.

For my number one choice, I wrote a "why school x" essay and ended it with "if accepted, I will withdraw my other applications immediately". at the time, I honestly thought i had a shot at number 1 and didn't think I had a shot at number 2 at all. the other schools i applied to are very distant for me compared to these two and the two schools are similar enough to where if school no 1accepted me but didn't offer me money, i would seriously regret having to withdraw from school number 2 and losing out on the scholarship money. I applied to school number 1 first, but haven't heard anything yet, it is currently "In Review" status. So my question is should I 1) withdraw from school number 1 now. 2) is there some other option that i am not seeing that is an ethical alternative?

thanks

The other thing I should have added is that based on my current numbers in the 7sage predictor and when i submitted my application, i have a 44% chance of getting in at all to the no 1 school, so i think it is possible that i could get in but with little or no money compared to what i got for school no 2

• aleland13aleland13 Alum Member
    158 karma

@ML_LSAT_Killa you seriously owe nothing to any law school unless you applied ED. I’m assuming you didn’t apply ED to your #1 choice and you didn’t ED your #2 choice either so you could just wait and see if choice #1 let’s you in and if they’d be willing to match the scholarship from choice #2 then go from there. If you applied ED to either of the schools then that’s a different story because of the binding nature of that. Congrats on getting that scholarship, that’s awesome!

@aleland13 said:
    @ML_LSAT_Killa you seriously owe nothing to any law school unless you applied ED. I’m assuming you didn’t apply ED to your #1 choice and you didn’t ED your #2 choice either so you could just wait and see if choice #1 let’s you in and if they’d be willing to match the scholarship from choice #2 then go from there. If you applied ED to either of the schools then that’s a different story because of the binding nature of that. Congrats on getting that scholarship, that’s awesome!

thank you @aleland13 I did not apply ED to any school. It is just that line I put in the "why school x" essay...for school number 1...because of how distant the other schools are for me (after 1 and 2) it was like a hail mary toss lol

267 karma

Even though it is not binding and it was foolish to maybe put in that essay, it is my word...and that is why I am thinking I will probably withdraw before they have the chance to admit me...that is what I am still leaning toward.

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

To be honest, I think you're fine and I wouldn't withdraw. Just wait and see the result. It is not a binding contract and I DOUBT that they're going to be mad at you for not "keeping your word". It is something you wrote, but they aren't going to punish you or force you to withdraw from other schools. If I was you, I would WAIT and see what the results are from all the schools. Then, I would make my final decision.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Law schools understand that the admissions process is fluid and that your mind will change as new variables come into the equation. What you wrote in your letter before represented your state of mind at that time, with the information that you had at that moment. Your situation changed - your outlook changed.

You are technically going back on your word, but you can chalk this one up to a small personal error and a lesson in making promises. Just don't make another decision that you'll regret by following through with your promise if it's not the best school for you to attend.

267 karma

yeah. I think that you all are right. I will just wait and see. thank you @Ohnoeshalpme and @Princess this helped big time!! :)

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Congratulations on your offer of admission and your merit scholarship! You should make the best decision for you and your future. Your Why X essay is not a binding promise. School 1 has not even made a final decision on your file and you don't know when that might happen. It is possible they might not get to your file for days or weeks, you don't know. If you are getting close to the deposit deadline for School 2, you could reach out to School 1 and politely ask about your application status because you have a deposit deadline for another school but you are still interested in School 1. School 1 will likely ask you about your other offer and award, but if not, you should give this information so School 1 can "make a fully informed decision" when they do. If you haven't heard back from School 1 with a final decision by School 2's first deposit deadline, you should put down a deposit so you have a place to attend come August. If, after the first deposit deadline, you are indeed admitted to School 1, then you can decide which school presents the better opportunity. You may have to eat that first seat deposit with School 2, but in the big picture, it is a small price to pay for the right learning environment for you. Good luck!

@"selene.steelman" said:
    Congratulations on your offer of admission and your merit scholarship! You should make the best decision for you and your future. Your Why X essay is not a binding promise. School 1 has not even made a final decision on your file and you don't know when that might happen. It is possible they might not get to your file for days or weeks, you don't know. If you are getting close to the deposit deadline for School 2, you could reach out to School 1 and politely ask about your application status because you have a deposit deadline for another school but you are still interested in School 1. School 1 will likely ask you about your other offer and award, but if not, you should give this information so School 1 can "make a fully informed decision" when they do. If you haven't heard back from School 1 with a final decision by School 2's first deposit deadline, you should put down a deposit so you have a place to attend come August. If, after the first deposit deadline, you are indeed admitted to School 1, then you can decide which school presents the better opportunity. You may have to eat that first seat deposit with School 2, but in the big picture, it is a small price to pay for the right learning environment for you. Good luck!

thanks @"selene.steelman"!! I have to say that the help I have gotten from you and @"David.Busis" on the weekly calls and within the admissions course has been a huuuuuuge help for my cycle!! :smiley: