Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Achieving consistency & later PTs

parkeunyparkeuny Alum Member
in General 162 karma

I'm currently scoring in the high 160s to mid 170s on the earlier PTs, but significantly lower (about 5 points) on the more recent PTs (60s and later). I don't have that many data points, but this is a trend I'm already starting to notice and since the recent exams are a better indicator of what the upcoming exams will be like, I'm inclined to put much more weight on the lower scores for an accurate gauge of where I am. I'm registered for the March exam, and I'm aiming for somewhere in the high 160s, and 170+ eventually (am tentatively planning to take a second time in July). I'd really like to close the gap and continue raising my score — has anybody had a similar discrepancy between the earlier and more recent practice tests, and how did you overcome it? Even within the two "categories" of practice tests, I'd like to close the gap so that I'm only fluctuating a few points rather than 5-6. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Hey! I think you're right and you should take some more practice tests. Try to take it in July because you can even see your score before and cancel if you need to. I think it really common for scores to take a dip, but you should keep practicing. Try to join study groups because that may help.

• KeepCalmKeepCalm Alum Member
    edited March 2019 807 karma

May I ask how many PTs you have taken? Are you are open to taking the LSAT over the summer? I ask because (7sage alumni) Nicole Hopkins said in one of her webinars, “each time you take the LSAT it’s an under performance”. I understand your concern because you plan to take the March exam but I believe your scores will change as you continue taking more practice exams. Would you be interested in taking sitting for a later date? This will allow you to will have a much better gauge as you compare the numbers with more data points. I know it can be discouraging because right now you’re noticing this trend continue but trust the 7sage process :smile: with diligence and persistence, the numbers will change! You scores are excellent and you deserve to get the best LSAT score you can :blush:

• parkeunyparkeuny Alum Member
    162 karma

Thanks, @Princess and @KeepCalm ! I've taken about 15 practice tests after subtracting the ones I took untimed just to get to know the questions better. I'm definitely open to making the July exam my first take, in which case September will probably be my retake if I need it. For now I'm just studying as if I'm 100% taking the March exam because it's unlikely that I'll be done in one take anyway. I'm also planning to take full practice tests more often (every 2-3 days, with reviewing/continuing with the CC and other materials in between) until the exam so that I can make a better informed decision about whether to take the March exam in two weeks or just wait until the July one. I was just unsure if there's some study strategy/method that I'm missing when it comes to closing gaps between older and newer tests and whether it simply indicates that I'm not as prepared as I should be yet.

• BlindReviewerBlindReviewer Alum Member
    855 karma

I think we're in similar positions -- I was signed up for March as well, but have rescheduled to June (and also reg for July). I was scoring around the same range as you, and decided that I wasn't ready yet. The decision was based more on my goals (trying to break 170) and the fact that as I started more thoroughly doing my BR, I realized that I had a lot more to learn.

The later tests are different, but not drastically different from earlier tests. I think many people describe the shift as moving from more strictly logic based to still logic based but with more nuance in the subtleties of language (for LR -- I think LG has been generally the same and RC is probably harder in some ways but at the end of the day you can't change RC that much). I've been going between the old and new tests to study and trying to identify what's changed or what kinds of twists are put on the same cookie cutter LR stimuli and answer choices has been helpful.

For me, delaying was more because I felt like I had more work to put in, and I didn't really want to gamble even though numbers-wise I was entering the range where on a good day I might (big might) have been able to pull it off. I'd say if you think you're compromising the quality of your studying by just doing PT after PT and ignoring weaknesses you feel like you should address, then delaying might be a good option. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more / if you need a study partner for July!

• KeepCalmKeepCalm Alum Member
    edited March 2019 807 karma

@Parkeuny Hey! I am so glad you are open to sitting for the July exam (followed by a possible-if needed September take). I am also happy to hear that you have taken fifteen PTs (aside from the untimed) because you have that many more PTs to prove to yourself that this is just a mere score fluctuation which will change for the better!

I think your plan is great and I am so happy to hear! You seem very confident with a positive attitude :blush:

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

@parkeuny Hey man, I think you are doing the right thing by delaying until July for the first take. If you want to study buddy up for it just let me know, I'm mostly working through the older PTs, but id certainly be down to take the same test and do some BR calls