Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Educated Overseas Disadvantage?

mepobreburromepobreburro Free Trial Member

Hello All,

Does anybody know if being educated overseas is a disadvantage? I am Australian educated with an A average in college, with a graduate degree as well, and I have had some years of relevant work experience. I scored 173 on the lsat in January but have so far heard nothing from UCLA, USC, Lewis and Clark (had interviews with Lewis and UCLA, but nothing since). The only other school I was applied to was Berkeley, where I was accepted but haven't received any gift aid. Because I have not been admitted anywhere else, I have no bargaining power with Berkeley.

I am just trying to figure out what's happened here, as I thought a good lsat score was the key to admissions. I am very discouraged by the whole situation :(

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Do you have a reportable LSAC GPA?

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

Many people are eagerly awaiting decisions, including me. On Reddit, some people have been waiting upwards of 5-6 months for a decision from schools, with seat deposit dates in sight. From everything I have heard there is little to no correlation between the time one waits to hear decisions this cycle and whether they were educated overseas.

• mepobreburromepobreburro Free Trial Member
    10 karma

Foreign educated candidates do not get a GPA, we are evaluated by LSAC's CAS as "superior," "average" or "below average" and LSAC also gives a translation between overseas grades and U.S. grades so that admissions can assess our transcripts for themselves. Thanks also for the info that a lot of people are waiting long periods...

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Generally for people with foreign degrees, the LSAT becomes more important, but your LSAT is great so I wouldn't be worried. If you check out the 7sage predictor and the article they wrote explaining what goes into it, there's a portion about how international students tend to fare slightly worse than domestic applicants. Of course, as they point out, correlation does not equal causation. I don't think you have anything to be worried about

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

Hey! Keep your head up! So far it seems to be quite a slow cycle, which is quite treacherous, but hang in there. I don't think the no response has anything to do with your overseas education.