Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some advice where to go

lorie.money123lorie.money123 Free Trial Member
in Off-topic 4 karma

My son wants to work in Michigan after law school in government job of some kind. Did not get into u of m, not retaking LSAT. Should he go to lower ranked school in Michigan or higher ranked out of state? If he goes to osu or indiana will he be able to get a job in government in Michigan?

MSU- full tuition plus leadership group (guaranteed internships, externships, mentor, networking)
WAYNE- full tuition
OSU- full tuition if gets residency 2L and 3L
Indiana- 2/3 scholarship

Comments

• jasminesadejasminesade Alum Member
    edited March 2019 249 karma

I'm not an expert in this field, but I think that you can find LST (law school transparency) useful.
    https://www.lawschooltransparency.com/
    Go under LST reports, insert the school, and you will find a breakdown showing what percentage of the class found employment in the public/private sector, small/big firms, etc. You can even do a side by side comparison and I believe there is a section that tells you the top states that students were able to find employment (with percentages)

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I think it's really great that you're helping him with this, but I would also encourage him to do some of his own research. He might visit a school and think that the fit is better for him, or he might like a particular clinic and not even want to end up working in government anyway.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Jobs in government vary drastically. There are a lot of legal jobs available in government but the best ones are, unsurprisingly competitive. In any case, the more competitive government jobs are going to be judicial clerkships, especially federal ones. Below that, it's not nearly as competitive. I think you'd have an opportunity to get a job in the government in Michigan fairly easily coming from OSU, but you're going to have to do your own legwork to get it.