Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reverse-Splitter scholarship negotiations

1Science1Art1Science1Art Alum Member
in General 269 karma

Hi, I haven't been on in a while as my account has expired, so I hope you all don't mind giving me some free advice.

I just found out last night that I got in to my dream school and I am thrilled. ( it was the only one I applied to so I'm also relieved lol) The issue is though that I didn't receive the kind of scholarship award that I would have liked, given that I have to now quit my full time job to go to school my husband is also nervous about how this is going to work.

I have a very good gpa but only a very modest lsat score, so I am lucky they accepted me at all and that they offered some financial award. But I need it to be more.
Is it too late to do anything about this and if not what would I do/say? I don't want them to think that I don't appreciate their admission etc. I want to be super respectful, but I need to see about this or I'm worried that I might not be able to go at all.

What about if I ask if I can re-take the lsat in June or July and ask if my new improved score would merit a new offer? Is that something that is done? or is this written in stone?
Please advise. I appreciate you all so much. You guys were there for me and wouldn't let me quit when I got a less than stellar result before so I thank you all.
-Ana

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

So, here's my 2 cents. The fact that you're a reverse splitter makes no difference at this point. To negotiate scholarships, you really want to be able to leverage a better offer- "I really want to go to your school, but X school offered me this much. Can you match it?" or, "I really want to go to your school, but I got admitted to (a higher ranked school), can my scholarship be reconsidered?"

I'm afraid that only applying to one school might come back to bite you a little bit here. It still doesn't hurt to try- tell them that you really want to go, but it's not financially feasible with the amount they offered, and you would really appreciate if they would be willing to reconsider the amount. Good luck!

• 1Science1Art1Science1Art Alum Member
    269 karma

Thanks @MissChanandler . I see now that only applying to one school doesn't give me any leverage to use in negotiations, but I really only had the option of going to this one school, so I didn't see the logic in applying elsewhere. I didn't consider that it would bite me like it might here.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

Yeah, you don't have much leverage in this situation, but it is still perhaps possible to get a slight increase. maybe this video will have some useful tips for you from former dean of Penn. Hope you get that increase!