Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are my chances?

While I do understand a lot is factored into the probability of gaining admission to any certain school, I am turning to my fellow 7sagers for some insight.

I graduated 4 years ago with a (LSAC calculated) 2.65. I’m doing all I can to study and PT above that 165 mark and have made some significant progress (last PT was 161 after an 11/18 151 official).

To help my chances, I’ve accepted a position at a law firm in the city I’d like to go to school in. The job requires a massive relocation (CA to NY).

I’m struggling to realize my chances of actually gaining admission to ANY school with the above statistics.

Does anybody here have any insight into the probability of getting into ANY school with 2.65/165+?

Thanks all - Stretch

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Admissions is based largely on the numbers (LSAT and GPA) for a few key reasons. Rankings are based in part on the numbers profile of a school's students, so schools will need to admit one student above their median GPA for every student below the median GPA in order to maintain their same numbers. Grades are also an indicator of a student's academic ability, dedication to school, etc. Your GPA is telling schools a story about what kind of law student you may be.

You can tell your own story and convince schools you are an excellent candidate in a number of ways. Obviously the LSAT is going to be the most important thing you can work on to help your chances of admissions. There are far more students with above median GPAs than there are with above median LSAT scores, so your LSAT score can be used to justify admissions despite a below median GPA. Another thing you have going in your favor is time. The further removed from your GPA you are, the more likely it is that you will be mature, dedicated, etc. Also, write the best personal statement you can to demonstrate that you are a good writer and to show schools that you are an amazing candidate.

You can use the 7sage predictor tool to see your chances of admissions based on your LSAC GPA and hypothetical goal LSAT score. Those predictors are never going to fully capture the chances of admissions for you specifically, and you can outperform your numbers if you have solid resume and a compelling personal statement, but the predictor tool may help you get an idea of what is realistic and what really is a stretch.

Best of luck with your studies and the move across the country!

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

There are multiple online predictors that can give you an idea of your shot. One of them lives here on 7Sage and is as good as any of the others.

FWIW and n=1. Here is a list of schools that offered a 163/2.73 applicant admission this cycle: UC-Irvine, UC-Hastings, U. San Diego, Pepperdine, Iowa, Illinois - Urbana Champaign, Missouri.

Good luck.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

The 7sage predictor gives you a pretty good chance at Brooklyn with those numbers. Of course, the higher the LSAT the better results you'll have, and splitter cycles are harder to predict so you'll really just want to put together the best app you can and apply widely

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

The strength of your application will depend on how well you present yourself and your desire to attend law school. Your GPA is something you cannot do anything to change at this point, but you can do your best to highlight other strengths. Distinguish yourself from others in the pool. You should prepare the strongest application you can and submit broadly and early. Cast a really wide net. This would maximize your chances of admission as an extreme splitter (high LSAT, low GPA). If you are going to get a fair assessment by an admissions committee, they are more likely to look beyond a low GPA when they are just starting to put together a class at the beginning of the cycle. Good luck!

• 246 karma

@StretchForHYS said:
    While I do understand a lot is factored into the probability of gaining admission to any certain school, I am turning to my fellow 7sagers for some insight.

I graduated 4 years ago with a (LSAC calculated) 2.65. I’m doing all I can to study and PT above that 165 mark and have made some significant progress (last PT was 161 after an 11/18 151 official).

To help my chances, I’ve accepted a position at a law firm in the city I’d like to go to school in. The job requires a massive relocation (CA to NY).

I’m struggling to realize my chances of actually gaining admission to ANY school with the above statistics.

Does anybody here have any insight into the probability of getting into ANY school with 2.65/165+?

Thanks all - Stretch

You will absolutely get into some schools if you put together a good application and get a 165+. I think you also should write an addendum explaining why your GPA is so low. Focus on the LSAT and just control what you can at this point.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

I agree with Better Every Day, writing a GPA addendum explaining why your GPA was low but why you expect to have a stronger academic performance in the future as a law student would be very helpful. You might also emphasize that four years have passed since you were in college, you have had many experiences since then, and you are a different person now and that GPA is not indicative of the type of student you will be.