Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much studying is too much studying?

Snoopy123Snoopy123 Alum Member
in General 105 karma

I study everyday for a couple of hours for the LSAT. My exam is in September. Is it bad that im studying everyday for hours? Tips to prevent burnout?

Comments

• simple_jacksimple_jack Alum Member
    284 karma

Personally I do the same and I'm also a double major and D1 athlete. LSAT and undergrad have basically become my life and I've just accepted it. I haven't really felt any burnout in three months and I'm not quite sure it exists (for me). For some people a break is necessary but it's very subjective. Just remember not to use it as an excuse to stop studying.

• edited April 2019 1025 karma

As long as you wake up the mindset of being hungry to get better, you're fine. As soon as the thought of studying feels less than that, then you need to take a break until you feel ready again.

Make sure you prevent yourself from overworking. Always take off time to not think of anything LSAT related, regardless of how motivated you may feel. This could mean anything along the lines of when you're done studying, you stop all LSAT thinking, all the way to the other end of the spectrum of taking a few days off. Preventing burnout really is something that's idiosyncratic and so will vary depending on the person.

What has helped me to prevent burnout is reminding myself of a time I was at my peek of feeling driven. For example, for me it's the day I got the emailed score from LSAC that I did not like and how much in that moment I wanted to work harder to get my goal score.

That's just my two cents. Best of luck.

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

I agree with the above, I have been studying for the LSAT at least an hour or two a day essentially everyday. Im also a double major, involved in various clubs and teams and working on a paper for publication. I don't really get much down time, but I enjoy the different things that I do, so taking time to work on one of my other projects counts as a "break" for me from the LSAT. I haven't really struggled with any burnout so I think you should be fine. However, there is obviously an element that is based just on the individual and any unique circumstances that you might have going on in your life. If you are worried about burnout, its probably better to take it easy, you will end up being more productive in the long run if you just avoid the burnout entirely!

• FoolProofFunFoolProofFun Alum Member
    122 karma

I think studying is too much when it harms, or you feel its harming, your overall effort. A deep sense of burnout may be a sign that this is the case, although of course this will look different to different people. I know people who, in the 2 weeks prior to the exam, successfully took two full, timed exams PER DAY (they were not working or in school) and felt they were immensely helped by that amount of studying. It goes to show...there is no one amount of studying that is going to be right. You have to think ahead, plan how much time you're going to have to the best of your ability, and try to stay balanced as you go forward. It really is a long-run game.

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Hey! I think this would depend on your abilities and how much studying you think can do in a certain amount of time. I try to set blocks of studying where I will try to do atleast 10 logic games, in another set, I will do a timed LR/ RC section, and then take a break. The next day, I review the timed section I took the previous day and keep working on the games. It is really important to foolproof the logic games and try to take atleast one test per week if you can. Be sure to blind review this effectively to figure out your weak areas and then drill those