Law School Applications - Mediocre GPA

cassius_bellicassius_belli Free Trial Member
edited April 2019 in Law School Admissions 4 karma

Hi, I graduated college about a year ago from a very good US school with a 3.3 GPA (it was a high stress college and took a toll on my mental health). I'm seriously considering applying to Law School as I'm confident I can get 170+ on the LSAT, but I'm struggling to commit fully to prepping as I'm unsure if all the effort would be worth it. Would I stand a chance at top schools with this sort of profile?

Comments

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

If you can get a 170+ you can get into a t14 school, use the 7sage predictor where you put in your gpa and lsat school and it shows you the percentage of chance for each school, lets just say if i get a 180 i'm still not getting into Harvard lol, BUT, from a 160 to a 165 the doors of possibilities that open up are numerous.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Not knowing anything else about your file, I would encourage you to make LSAT prep your number one priority and try to achieve the best score you can. I would recommend that when you are ready to submit applications in an admissions cycle, you should try to get your applications submitted by Thanksgiving so admissions committees can evaluate your file early in the cycle when they are just starting to fill their 1L class and may be more forgiving of lower GPAs. Lastly, I would apply BROADLY to a range of schools (reaches, targets, and safeties). Check out the 7Sage Predictor at https://7sage.com/predictor/ and try to put together a realistic list of schools given. your scores. If you end up being a splitter candidate with a lower GPA and high LSAT, different admissions committees will see different strengths in your applications and stats. By casting a wide net to a range of schools, you maximize your chances of being admitted to a law school of your choice. Good luck!