Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). PT10.S1.Q18 - people cannot be morally responsible - 7Sage Forum

PT10.S1.Q18 - people cannot be morally responsible

nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
edited July 2017 in Logical Reasoning 1723 karma

Hey could someone break this down for me? Thanks

Comments

• thecmancanthecmancan Alum Member
    edited April 2019 161 karma

Stim - I don't think diagrams help here.

TreatmentRecvInfant --> /C --> /C of Conseq --> /MR

I dunno if the above chain is correct at all. This is so tough grammatically.

I completely broke down the last statement in thes stimulus into this:

Everyone sometimes acts in ways that are inevitable consequences of treatments received as an infant.

Infants clearly cannot control treatments received as an infant.

Infants are not morally responsible for the treatment they receive.

And thus the inference is……

Some adult actions exists where adults are not morally responsible.

AC - E say:

For all/every adult action, adults are not morally responsible.

Since SOME quantifier incorporates from at least 1 to ALL, AC-E is the only fully valid inference to be drawn.

Honestly the other AC's are just bad:

A - is a trappy answer - it can be inferred that an infant cannot control treatment they receive, and thus, not morally responsible for the treatment they receive. The stimulus never states anything about actions of infants, only treatment infants receive. We fail sufficiency of "action infant performed".

B - this is not inferred from the stimulus because the only way to be clear of moral responsibility is if it's something you can't control or a consequence of something you can't control. This AC has none of that. This fails sufficiency of "Commonly performed actions"

C - Partially responsible is not inferred. Stimulus does not assign partial responsibility. The stimulus also doesn't claim anything about adults and their treatment received. They simply say it's difficult to determine.

D - This is the oldest trick in the book. The stimulus say:

If /control --> /moral responsible.

This AC say if control --> moral responsible.

This is false contrapositive.

E - Explained above.