Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do Law Schools look at Community College Grades Grades?

PreWorkoutPreWorkout Alum Member

I was just wondering if Law Schools looked down on or dont make a big deal about community college grades in comparison to those i attained at my four year university. My CC GPA was higher than my University GPA and it ends up balancing it out. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Thanks!

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I don't believe it makes any difference. For the most part, law schools don't factor in "prestige" of your undergrad, so I would suppose community college would be the same. I wouldn't worry about anything - they are mostly just concerned with your overall GPA, which sounds like it will benefit from the cc grades. So, that's great!

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Why does it matter? You can't do anything about it. Don't bother thinking about things you can't respond to.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I don’t think it matters too much. I’ve gotten into a few T10 schools and I transferred from a CC.

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

It really only makes sense for schools to care about the stats (Lsat, gpa) of their prospective students, since it's what they must report. I think in most cases acceptance is a pure numbers game, although I'm sure it's a plus to have a prestigious undergraduate record.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Admissions committees look at GPAs because it is a factor in determining the rankings: Does it help maintain or raise the GPA median? But they also care about the GPA because they and the faculty want to make sure that a candidate will be able handle the rigors of the education at that school. Grades are on a curve, and they want to make sure they are filling the class with people who are going to thrive, not just survive. When comparing files with the same stats (same LSAT and same GPA), they are going to look at the undergraduate institution, the difficulty of the major, and the challenging nature of the courses taken.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Agreeing with the above--I think a lot of this is the type of course and level of difficulty.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

I'm sure it matters at the margins as others have hinted, but the LSAT is the great equalizer. Chances are u will perform according to your numbers based on LSN.