Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth retaking a 169?

gettysburggettysburg Alum Member
in General 126 karma

I just got my March score and received a 169. I'm definitely happy with my score - I've studied for this dang thing for over a year but I'm considering maybe... possibly... retaking.

This is my situation. I have a 4.0 GPA - graduated about a year and a half ago. I'm interested in T14 schools - particularly lower T14 schools with a scholarship. I also had some other tier one schools in mind - like Boston University and UT Austin.

The thing with a 169 is that just a point or two more would put me at or above median at a lot of the T14. The night before the exam, I had a massive panic attack and did not sleep. Literally went into the exam on 0 hours of sleep, convinced I was gonna bomb it. I had been receiving PT scores in the lower170s in the months leading up to the test, so I think maybe I underperformed or lack of sleep contributed to the drop. Or the drop was just a natural test day drop, who knows.

But, I also just don't want to keep studying for this test. I know that sounds lazy and lame, but I've studied for 16 months, 3-4 hours a day, 5 days a week, with virtually no breaks. I'm emotionally drained. But I could muster up the energy if retaking was worthwhile - I don't know definitively that I'll do better and I don't want to go through the process if I'm gonna end up with the same or a lower score. But I also don't want to pass up the chance to retake and live with myself knowing that I might've gotten a scholarship or gotten accepted to a better school had I just put in a couple more months of preparation.

Thoughts?

Comments

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

I’m in the same boat. I decided to go for it, although it is painful. I would take June if I were you. You are still in game shape so 6 more weeks of studying shouldn’t kill you and it gives you one more shot at it. You can then use the summer to focus on applications and then apply early. Lastly it allows you to avoid learning the digital format. I vote take it again. And I vote for June.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

Retake, literally just one or two points in your situation will generate full rides in lower T-14s. The time and money it takes to improve is nothing compared to the money saved paying for law school. Lastly, you underperformed due to lack of sleep etc so I think you would be a good candidate for a score jump.

• sakox010sakox010 Member
    333 karma

I also got a 169 this morning from the March exam. I do feel like I underperformed a little bit, definitely sucks not being able to see what questions I got wrong.

If you can get a 169, there's no reason why you can't get a couple more questions right for a 170+. I'm shooting to apply this fall but already registered for the June LSAT and am considering the July one as well since I believe you can cancel your score after you find out what you got.

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

Man did I forget the obvious. Thanks @eRetaker With a 4.0gpa you probably will get close to full rides at a lower T14 as it stands now with a 169. But if you can score a even 1 or 2 points higher, you might be able to get close to full rides at T10 schools. I know it sucks to retake. It is definitely draining. But the payoffs are soooo tremendous that I think pushing through it is important. Good luck on your decision!

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

@CantStopWontStop @sakox010 @gettysburg Good luck on all your retakes!

• 246 karma

@gettysburg said:
    I just got my March score and received a 169. I'm definitely happy with my score - I've studied for this dang thing for over a year but I'm considering maybe... possibly... retaking.

This is my situation. I have a 4.0 GPA - graduated about a year and a half ago. I'm interested in T14 schools - particularly lower T14 schools with a scholarship. I also had some other tier one schools in mind - like Boston University and UT Austin.

The thing with a 169 is that just a point or two more would put me at or above median at a lot of the T14. The night before the exam, I had a massive panic attack and did not sleep. Literally went into the exam on 0 hours of sleep, convinced I was gonna bomb it. I had been receiving PT scores in the lower170s in the months leading up to the test, so I think maybe I underperformed or lack of sleep contributed to the drop. Or the drop was just a natural test day drop, who knows.

But, I also just don't want to keep studying for this test. I know that sounds lazy and lame, but I've studied for 16 months, 3-4 hours a day, 5 days a week, with virtually no breaks. I'm emotionally drained. But I could muster up the energy if retaking was worthwhile - I don't know definitively that I'll do better and I don't want to go through the process if I'm gonna end up with the same or a lower score. But I also don't want to pass up the chance to retake and live with myself knowing that I might've gotten a scholarship or gotten accepted to a better school had I just put in a couple more months of preparation.

Thoughts?

I’m in a similar spot with slightly lower stats - 168 3.85 GPA. I’m retaking in July because I really think being able to cancel your score after viewing it just takes so much pressure away. If you are waiting a cycle you might as well give it one more go, especially since you have some reason to believe you underperformed.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think it’s really reasonable to retake in your situation. If you were consistently PTing in the low 170s, then you have good reason to believe you can do better. Even that 1 point to hit 170 will significantly help.

That said, if you don’t want to retake, your score and GPA will basically guarantee you get in to lower T14s with likely solid scholarships. For reference, I have a 168 and 3.85 and got $120k to NU and $135k at Cornell. That said, if I had been able to crack 170, there’s a good chance that becomes $180k at NU. But for me, my average PT was around 168-169, and it would take significant study and work to increase that. You on the other hand have reason to know you can do better.

I’d highly recommend signing up for the July LSAT. For that exam, they will be giving some people the paper test and some digital. That’s a little annoying, but for that test only they will be allowing everyone to see their score before deciding if you want to cancel it. So there’s basically no down side - if you score lower, you can cancel it and be on your way. Also, for that test only, if you cancel it, LSAC will give you a free retake. So you could try again in September if you wanted. (It will then be 100% digital though.)

Good luck whatever you decide! If you stick with your current score, you’re likely looking at full tuition to BU and healthy scholarships in the lower T14. There’s not really a wrong choice here. I totally get the fatigue, but if you muster up the energy, I think it would also be a smart choice to retake.

• GuillaumeGuillaume Alum Member
    652 karma

I would totally retake. I also got a 169 but that was on the upper end of my PTs and my second take. I found the second time around I was much less nervous and things just clicked better. I know it sucks, but it's another three months of studying.

• UnicornFartsUnicornFarts Alum Member
    222 karma

Go with retake, but I suggest maybe taking one or two weeks off to destress and relax. You sound like you're super tired of test prep and it really helped me when I took a few weeks off to relax my brain. It actually made my PT scores go up. If you are applying for next year, it wouldn't hurt to retake again, but you have an awesome score already!

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I retook a 169 with PT scores like yours! Got a 172. Definitely worth it, in my opinion. Also, you don't sound lazy or lame at all. You worked your butt off and got an amazing score. I would recommend retaking sooner rather than later. You can definitely solidify a few things/your mental game in just a couple months, and that will help with burnout.

• J.CHRIS.ALSTJ.CHRIS.ALST Alum Member
    399 karma

The fact you already have a great score and will likely get into a great school will only help with confidence if you retake. That confidence boost alone could potentially get you over the 170 hump... You are in a very good place right now! Congrats!