Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logic games with a full schedule

jjoushlynjjoushlyn Alum Member
in Logic Games 198 karma

Hello 7sagers,

Just looking for opinions on the most efficient way you all have full proof logic games with a full time job and studying lay daily. I take a timed section almost everyday so I'm trying to figure out that balance. I am focusing on getting through the set up and understanding how to make inferences more than the questions right now. I dont really know if doing it 8 to 10 times is the most efficient way to master the games. Sounds like a lot of printing. Any advice on systems or should I just do it ?

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

There are a few shortcuts, especially if you want to save on printing. Some people print only 1 copy and put it in a clear sheet protector and then use a dry erase marker on that.

I definitely think it’s not necessary to print 10 copies of every single game. Personally, I could usually hit the goal time on about attempt 3, give or take depending on difficulty. If you search the board (I’d post a link but I’m on my phone which is harder) for the “Pacifico method” you’ll also find a recommendation on how to lower the number of games printed. Some people also like to change it up - keep track of which games you attempt. Say you fool proof a game and on attempt 3 you hit the target time. Great! Set it aside and move on. Then the next day, go back and try the game again. If you hit the target score on first try, great. If not, repeat again until you do. Then set aside. Move on to other games. Then about a week or so later, repeat the game again and try to hit the target score. I think this helps you retain the skills if you attempt the same game in varying time periods like that. So you kind of skip back and forth a lot but it helps to remind yourself of what you learned.

Hope some of that helps! I do think the repetition is extremely helpful. But really instead of doing the same game 10 times in a row, you do it as many times as it takes to get under the target score. For some easy games, I’d hit it on the first try. Some would take me six tries - or never lol. So I think it’s better to not necessarily print 10 of each game up front every time. I like the dry erase idea too, and just have a spreadsheet or notebook keeping track of the game and how long it took each time.

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    edited April 2019 973 karma

I agree with @"Leah M B" --- the @Pacifico method is fantastic and it's how I structured my fool-proofing, with a few of my own adjustments (you can find it here: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy/p1)

For example
    1. First try. If I get it within -0 and within the target time, I stop here.
    2. If I didn't succeed on both goals, I watch the 7sage video.
    3. I do it again the next day. If I don't get -0 and under time, I do it the next day (this step all over again.
    4. Once I do get it -0 and under time, I wait a week and then do it again. Hopefully successfully--if not, repeat.

Ideally, this happens within 4 tries. I logged it all in my sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yK-ux9iLzRF8c4zfJieZC7cXNuzPaAWEJtwT6BWVzxA/edit?usp=sharing) I would also highlight the cells of the game when I was not -0 and was taking too long, because it was a visual way to remind me to go back to that game.

But unlike @Pacifico, I only printed each game out once. I would print each game out once, and do all the work on a scratch piece of paper--including the bubbling. The print-once-and-use-scratch-paper is not for everyone, but it worked for me! Happy to share more if needed.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@hawaiihi - you know, I think your "print once and use scratch paper" is actually even better now because of the switch to digital. If you can fit the whole game on the screen, you may want to not print at all. Simply keep track of times on a spreadsheet, but just pull up each game on your laptop/tablet screen and work through it on scratch paper. That is basically how you will be doing it on the new digital test.

• jjoushlynjjoushlyn Alum Member
    198 karma

Thank you both!