Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommendation on a good "system" for studying for the LSAT while looking for a job.

ValDJrFall20ValDJrFall20 Alum Member
in General 36 karma

Is anyone currently studying for the LSAT(registered for June but pay push to Sept) while attempting looking for a job? I'm currently in this predicament and I'm finding that my consistency is suffering. Any thoughts or advice?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Not in the same situation but dealt with issues of consistency.

I decided to set aside the hours of 5am-7am to study every day, 6 days a week, no matter what. Some days I would come home from work and do more, but just knowing I got those 2 hours in helped me keep from feeling guilty and kept me consistent.

It doesn’t have to be in the morning, either. Just set aside time that you’re going to use to study no matter what.

Good luck!

• edited April 2019 42 karma

I second what Alex says. I work full time right now and have found that the best way for me to stay consistent is to study from 5am-7:30am. If I can't study more after work, that's OK because I got my obligatory two hours in in the morning. It's a grind sometimes but I know it will be worth it in the end. Also, if you do plan to stick to a routine like this, make sure you get enough sleep as well. It's been said 100 times before, but you will function at a much higher level when your brain is well rested.

Hope this helps.

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

An alternative to morning studiers: This is my routine for studying during the weekdays while working full-time. I study during my 1 hour commute to work on the train, my lunch hour at work, after work for ~1 hour, and on the 1 hour commute back home on the train. Basically make pockets of time to study LSAT while you make that bank. :)

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

One way that I job searched, did school full-time, including writing my thesis, and studied for the LSAT involved lots and lots of spreadsheets and tracking.

I had a spreadsheet for job searching, which helped me to keep track of my progress. I set goals for myself as well, stuff like: Find 3 potential postings on Indeed today, or Submit my resume to 3 jobs this week, or Write a cover letter for X job today. And then, once I had achieved that, I would stop with the job search to give myself time to study.

I also had a serious LSAT spreadsheet that I used. I made a schedule out for my week and followed it, alternating job search intensity with LSAT intensity. For example, if I had scheduled a PT for Thursday, I wouldn't do any job searching that day. But if I only had one section of LR scheduled that day, I would set a higher-effort job search goal.

Good luck!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I did a lot of things while LSAT studying - worked full time, looked for a job, was a bridesmaid, moved apartments, etc. I agree a lot with the others that the key is simply to make a schedule and stick to it.

I'm not a morning person, so did my studying at night. When I worked full time, I mostly studied for about 2 hours in the evening, 4 nights per week. (1 weekday evening I would take off to rest and do something fun.) Also would take a full PT on Saturdays, and that's it. Then I'd do BR of the PT on Sundays. If it took more than about 4 hours or so to BR, then I'd finish it Monday evening. I'd also use my lunch break to study when I can - it was the perfect amount of time to walk to the public library, take a timed section, and walk back to my office. And then I'd usually review it that evening. So it worked out to about 2 hours 4 days per week, and 4 hours 2 days per week. But the thing that helped the most I think was just to have a set plan.

You might want to try splitting your time - if you are not working now, maybe say 9am-12pm you job hunt, 12-1 lunch, 1-5pm LSAT study. Or if you are currently working and also job hunting, maybe you split up your evenings, or alternate nights doing job hunting vs LSAT studying.

• BlindReviewerBlindReviewer Alum Member
    855 karma

Currently in the same situation, and the advice above is great. The only thing I would add is that searching for a job can really add to the anxieties the LSAT already gives you, so make sure to exercise self-care in meditation or otherwise not being overwhelmed! Good luck!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

One day at a time. And cut yourself some slack. This is a lot to deal with but it can be done.

• Cookie MoonCookie Moon Member
    edited June 2019 264 karma

I work full time and have "gym commitment". So I study 5:45am to 8:30am everyday except Sunday (day off is also the same, but more extra study). I will use lunch break 1 hour to watch lecture videos. After work I go to the gym for 1 and half hour (watch LSAT videos while doing my cardio). Then I go back home and study for another hour to two hours.
    It's all about priorities.