PT46.S4.G4 - A reporter is trying to uncover the workings

GETREQTLSATGETREQTLSAT Member
edited April 2019 in Logic Games 65 karma

Hi!

In this game and all the explanations it seems to be implicit that, while M or P can threepeat, they cannot repeat again the same subcomittee I.E. you can have PGH but you can't have PGP even though, even if this were true, all members could still serve on at least subcommittee- why can't M or P be used 4 times? Nothing was explicitly stated in the rules.

admin note: edited title
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-46-section-4-game-4/

Comments

• edited April 2019 1025 karma

I'm extremely happy you asked this question.

This confusion is a trick that is frequently used on LG and it takes a second to think about what the pieces are and what the slots represent to resolve it. Not everything on LG can simply be taken as abstract (ie. I have 3 slots, fill them however I like). Make sure that when you are figuring our distributions and/or the game-board you take into account the nature of what the pieces represent.

"There are three subcommittees, each having three members." "The committee has six members"--F, G, H, I, M, P.

I don't think you had an issue with the slots on this board representing members. However, there is an assumption that LSAC clearly thinks we ought to know--a member is an individual person. You even correctly stated this yourself in the post above. Although we are taught that if something isn't stated then it's allowed to happen, you might be overthinking this repeat.

Maybe viewing the game from different perspective would help clarify this. Take, for instance, an in-out game. In almost every single one, they don't specify whether the pieces are allowed to repeat or not because there is a logical implication that if X is "out" then it's "out." In this game, one can view each individual sub committee as an in-out game. Accordingly, simplify the game down to just the first subcommittee that has three slots. Treat that single committee as an in-out game, where three pieces are in and three are out. Viewing the game this way should hopefully get you to see that this really is an -in-out game with one overarching rule (M or else P must be in all three).

If F is "in" on subcommittee 1, then G is "out" on that same subcommittee. If F is "in" on subcommittee 1, then it's already "in." How can it be "in" again?

I think this game is asking us to find out who is "in" and who is "out" on each of the three subcommittees. This process inherently doesn't allow for pieces to repeat on the same subcommittee.

I hope this helped!!

• GETREQTLSATGETREQTLSAT Member
    65 karma

Thank you so much! This was super helpful. I didn't realize the in/out nature of this game initially.