Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

removed

losangeleezlosangeleez Alum Member
edited September 2019 in Law School Admissions 21 karma

removed

Comments

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

This seems like a situation where you should probably hire a law school consultant. I don't think it will hurt too bad based on what you're describing but make sure you own up to your mistake and keep a clean slate moving forward.

• alumivacuialumivacui Alum Member
    212 karma

Sounds like you need to do some research regarding your position. My advice would be to figure out your situation. I'm not sure if you're lost for direction or not, but I'll add my two cents as someone who sat on the senate for academic appeals at my university-- and hopefully it helps:

First, reread the assignment perimeters. VERY CAREFULLY. These assignment perimeters will be what determines whether or not you will be in trouble. A student can only be expected to know what is explicitly stated either on paper or in class regarding the assignment, and where I go to school, any amendments to the assignment must be made formally and publicly with no concern of esoteria. Plus, speak to other students in the class to determine/gauge their understanding of what was or was not allowed for the project and see if it is far off from what you 'did'. Obviously, there are very straight-forward rules that students must follow and that do not need to be explicitly stated... don't plaigarise, etc. Furthermore, check your schools academic dishonesty policies. See what is, and is not, considered academic dishonesty and whether or not there are grounds for the investigation. This is moreless the commonsense stuff to do to get you started off.

And, again, I am unsure what your school is like, but if you have one REACH OUT TO YOUR STUDENT UNION they are there for times like this and will likely have the best advice/course of action.

I feel it necessary to mention that only you know whether or not you cheated. If you truly believe you didn't, then I believe that you should be okay. Remember, there is both actus reus and mens reus. Intentionality is very important. I don't think it would be too far off the mark to assume that the professor is holding the belief that individuals did this in and for a malicious manner/reasons and is thereby treating everyone on that list as such. If you are on the list, show them that this wasn't the case.

Second, get ahead of the curve. Meaning, make an appointment with your professor. They are a person too and have more than likely had very similar issues or concerns. Not to mention that I have NEVER come across a professor that wants ANY student to fail. Talk to them, explain your situation, your concerns, and anything else you feel necessary. Odds are, if there are that many students being investigated, the professor is PISSED. I'm not sure how the process is where you are going to school, but it is ALOT and i mean ALOOOOOT of paper work to report a single student for cheating let alone a large scale investigation like that.

While sitting on the senate, we moreless made decision based off the following criteria:
    Merit: is there a reason for the student to be reaching out-- we evaluated the case from the very beginning to determine whether any wrong was done... mainly procedurally by the professor (as professor can pretty will get away with murder so long as they fulfill what is required of them) since this is really the base for most if not all appeals
    Intention: Did the student intend to cheat/ knowingly cheat/ miss an exam/ due date/ etc
    Scale: How big was the exam/project/mark/ amount of individuals involved
    Justification:Why did they miss the necessary date or do whatever it was they did etc

Good luck Friend :) I am sending all the positive energy and support I can your way!

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Depending on the law school and its particular application, questions of academic dishonesty may be asked in the Character and Fitness section. In general, admissions committees take these questions and answers very seriously as they are part of your record that goes to the bar examiners. You should find out what exactly is happening to your academic record and then approach your C&F answers with honesty and transparency. Whether or not it will be a deciding factor in an admissions decision will largely depend on the admissions officer who is reading your file and the members of the admissions committee who will decide how they feel about the facts of your situation. Good luck!