Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I get a tutor? Need help improving PT score to BR score

ChiChi55ChiChi55 Alum Member
edited May 2019 in General 177 karma

Hi guys! I've posted on here before about improving my PT score to my BR score and here I am again lol. I'm only on my second PT after the CC but I have taken the LSAT before. On the last two PT's my timed scores and BR scores are as follows:

PT Feb 97:
Timed: 161
BR:170

PT36:
Timed: 155
BR:172

I will make note that PT36 was the first time I took the digital LSAT and I was so clunky with it and also for RC the passages were cut off (until I realized AFTER the timed test that it worked if I used the 7Sage format). I know I struggle with timing big time during LR and RC. When I do BR I feel in control and I really feel like I'm starting to master some of the Q's and I feel more and more confident with practice.
I was wondering if I should get a tutor to help me bridge this gap? If so, where can I get a tutor?? I love seeing the 170's on my BR and I'm really starting to get a hang of it (thanks to 7Sage!) but I feel clumsy and awkward during the timed PT. Any tips are appreciated!!

Comments

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Hey! I feel like I'm in the same boat as you. What I'm doing is actually taking a week or two to just take timed sections for LR. I'm doing like 2-6 timed LR sections from the 40s and 50s. Then, I'm going to start taking full PTs from the 60s-now, but only the evens. This way I do have the odds if I need to get more practice. I'm planning to take my test in July though! Right now, I'm scoring 162ish and 173+ on BR. I've already foolproofed the games from tests 1-35, which helped so much. I definitely recommend that if you're still missing questions during the games. My biggest problem is the logical reasoning, so I'm trying to just take timed sections, BR later during the day, drill drill drill, and master LR. The more I get exposed to the questions, BR thoroughly, watch explanations, and communicate with other 7sagers, I feel like I'm seeing improvement!

If you think your schedule works well, we could work together on LR and BR together! I'm thinking it is probably a timing issue for you too because you do know the material well to be scoring a high BR score. Try doing same timed sections, get more confident in your answers, and message me if you like! Good luck :smiley:

• ChiChi55ChiChi55 Alum Member
    177 karma

@Princess thank you sooo much! LR is the section that I seem to have the most struggle with too besides timing on RC. I’m definitely going to try some times LR sections for the next two weeks like you suggested! I think it’s really a strategy and confidence thing for me right now that I’m struggling with! And I’m also planning to take the July test as of now!! I’d love to see if our schedules work to work together on LR and just check in and motivate one another lol :) I’ll message you!

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

For sure! I took PTS 38-40 LR recently and I'm already seeing a little bit of improvement, more confidence with choosing an answer, circling and coming back to it rather than wasting my time, and more. You got this!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Yes! I think everyone should get a tutor.

7Sage has a list of some really excellent tutors!

I found nothing to be as beneficial as my tutor during my prep. The course and books can teach you all the strategies, but having the help of an actual person who has gone through what you have is invaluable.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

That's a huge gap. To go from -8 during BR to -30+ means you just fall apart because of the timing element. BR you don't have a time limit to solve the problems. I don't know if a tutor can help you out. It seems like you have test anxiety issues. I think you need to not focus on how much time per question when you're taking the timed test. Focus on accuracy during the timed parts, make sure that every question you attempt you get correct.

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

While I did not have the same starting point as you, I got a tutor through the 7sage discussion page. It has totally revamped my entire outlook on the test. You should absolutely get some professional help especially if it is specifically about this one issue of LR. They can help tune you up more efficiently than you can without help.

• ChiChi55ChiChi55 Alum Member
    177 karma

@EagerestBeaver said:
    While I did not have the same starting point as you, I got a tutor through the 7sage discussion page. It has totally revamped my entire outlook on the test. You should absolutely get some professional help especially if it is specifically about this one issue of LR. They can help tune you up more efficiently than you can without help.

Glad to know its helped!! If you don't mind me asking which tutor did you choose? I contacted at least 3 of them and I'm just waiting on replies back