Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally broke out of 161 plateau!!!

edited May 2019 in General 615 karma

After 5 weeks of 159~162, I finally scored 167 on PT59!!!! Aaaaaahhhhhhaahahahahahahahh
This is so exciting!!! I was starting to doubt myself because scoring 161 consistently for over a month did damage my self-esteemmmmmm......
Ahhhhhhahaaahahahahahahah
Will have to take another PT to confirm whatever happened was not just an outlier... but I’m happy for now!!

Is the best way to increase BR score to redo CC?
My average BR score is 170, but want to reach at least 175 for BR.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited May 2019 23929 karma

Congrats! That’s a huge improvement, and you should be both happy and proud.

Re: redoing the CC. If time was not a factor I would recommend everyone redo the CC. But, I think if you can score a 167, your time is likely better spent targeting and working to improve more specific areas. Return to the CC; however, you should do so methodically.

The test is designed so there really aren’t going to be major outliers. If someone could luck into a score 6-7 points higher than their average, it wouldn’t be a statistically valid exam. So don’t diminish your achievement or confidence with that type of thinking.

To give you better advice on how to proceed, what was your score breakdown? Are there any obvious weaknesses you could work to improve?

When I was scoring in the high-160 what helped me most was watching JY’s live takes. Seeing how he approached things and listening to his narration/thought process helped me to make sure the skills I had developed were being implemented in a way that would maximize my score. So be sure to check those out!

• edited May 2019 615 karma

@Alex Thank you!
    My score breakdown is:
    Timed [LR -5 / LR -5 / LG -0 / RC -7] / BR [LR -4 / LR -5 / LG -0 / RC -4]

Timing is my biggest issue. I still run out of time before trying all the questions, but there has been some improvement. For PT59 LR, I only skipped 5 questions!(it is an improvement from 10...) I’m guessing doing more timed sections practices, as you once have recommended, would be helpful. I also miss tones of AP questions. My accuracy rate for AP has been 0% for the last two PTs. Could it be grammar?
    I also noticed I’m making extra assumptions for wrong AC to justify it.

For RC, most of my mistakes are from infer-author’s perspective questions. I’m not so sure how I should interpret this. Making false(additional+big+unwarranted) assumptions?

and thank you for suggesting JY’s video. I’ll definitely watch it! I’ll watch it now :smiley: + ok, I’ll watch it once I finish PT62, which is scheduled for this week. None of the ones I’ve done have JY’s live commentary...heehee...

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

What a huge jump! lol I don't think I've even made more than a 3 point leap so that's pretty cool! Congrats!

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Nice job! I wouldn't worry too much about validating the score. Just keep trying to improve your BR score and your timing and practice practice practice! There will be more plateaus and some setbacks along the way for everyone, but if you focus on BR then you are actively working on improving and will not feel as discouraged if you have a bad PT here or there. Congratulations on the jump!

• 32 karma

Congrats!!! So happy for you!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

This is wonderful news. Great work!

• 615 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" @Possible_byfaith @lsatplaylist
    Thank you!

@drbrown2 haha... seems like I’ve fallen into another pit hole of mid~high 160s...

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    edited May 2019 2227 karma

@Lemongrab said:
    @drbrown2 haha... seems like I’ve fallen into another pit hole of mid~high 160s...

Keep going! BR harder than ever and be more mindful of timing strategies for the next jump. I'm pretty close to finally jumping up into the 170s and am hoping to eventually get down to single digit incorrect answers. Just need to keep practicing my timing so I'm more consistent in each section. We can do this!