Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Light Course Load

Luffys HatLuffys Hat Alum Member

I currently have a 3.9 GPA at FSU with hopes in getting into a T14 law school. My only concern in regards to my transcript is that I have a relatively light course load.

In my third year--I'm entering my fourth year in the fall--I experienced multiple and erratic seizures which forced me to be on medical watch and prevented me from driving or using electronics for some time. Later on in the year, my girlfriend became pregnant with my little baby daughter (:D) and I had to travel and stay in Colombia to accompany her since she lives alone. These impediments forced me to drop the majority of my classes which consequently led me to complete a mere total of 9 credit hours in my Junior year. I explained all of this to my university and they were lenient and cleared me from any heavy academic obligations.

In regards to my credits and graduation pace, I am not off-track since I have taken multiple Summer courses over the years. I am just a bit worried that my lackluster course load, specifically in my third year, may dissuade the T14 law schools from taking my application seriously.

Could my case deter T14 law schools from considering me? I know I should mention this through an addendum but to what extent would that help with their considerations?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited May 2019 23929 karma

This won’t be any issue. You’ll graduate on time and your GPA is strong. Not sure if an addendum is needed, so I’ll defer to the experts on that.

You have nothing to worry about.

Congrats on the baby & stellar GPA!

• UnicornFartsUnicornFarts Alum Member
    222 karma

Personally, I think you should write an addendum. Schools will want to know. And this way you can control the situation instead of leaving it up for their interpretation. Also, they might end up asking about it anyway. Best of luck! That's a fantastic GPA, btw

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I’m not sure if an addendum is necessary, but maybe couldn’t hurt since 9 credit hours is essentially part time. Maybe @"selene.steelman" could tell you if it would be best to write an addendum up front. But either way, I don’t think it will negatively affect you since you have a completely valid reason and kept your GPA up too. And congrats on the baby! 💕

• Luffys HatLuffys Hat Alum Member
    73 karma

I appreciate the feedback and will definitely take heed to any advice

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

@jhl16b I would prepare short (2 paragraph), factual GPA addendum explaining your situation (health, family matters) and how they were unique to that time period. You do not anticipate those health issues or obligations to continue during law school so there is nothing preventing you from taking the required course load to complete the JD degree. The admissions committee will just want assurance that you will be able to attend your classes, participate in all law school experiential learning opportunities, and finish the program on time. The great news is that your overall GPA will be attractive to all schools!

• Luffys HatLuffys Hat Alum Member
    73 karma

@selene.steelman Thanks for your input. I will surely remember your advice for my application.