PT74.S1.Q23 - geologist: the dominant view that petroleum

LSAT04164LSAT04164 Alum Member
edited September 2016 in Logical Reasoning 127 karma
This asks to weaken the geologist's argument. I cannot wrap my head around why D is the correct answer. Someone please help!
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-74-section-1-question-23/

Comments

• hlsat180hlsat180 Free Trial Member
    edited September 2016 362 karma
    Geologist argues the scientists' view (that petroleum was formed from deep carbon deposits dating from the formation of the earth rather than fossilized remains of plants and animals) is refuted by the presence in petroleum of biomarkers (molecules indicating the past or present existence of a living organism).

For his conclusion to hold true, the geologist assumes that deep carbon deposits have never contained life. Answer D, if true, introduces new information that counters this assumption and therefore casts doubt on the geologist's conclusion.

• Madssssss L.Madssssss L. Alum Member
    edited May 2019 124 karma

Am I such an idiot for reading so quickly I forgot bacteria were alive...

• BlindReviewerBlindReviewer Alum Member
    855 karma

@hlsat180 points out the assumption being made, which is that deep carbon deposits can't have biomarkers, so there's no way this is what made petroleum.

I think the more interesting thing is why E is wrong, and it's so sneaky -- characteristic of these newer LR sections that play a lot on language. E just talks about "carbon deposits" whereas the stimulus is talking about "DEEP carbon deposits." So while E brings up an example that seems to attack the assumption, we don't know at all if that's referring to deep carbon deposits at all. Meanwhile, D captures this important specificity laid out in the stimulus.