Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What’s your Digital LSAT Notation Strategy?

Mike_RossMike_Ross Alum Member Sage
in General 3106 karma

Hi fellas,

I’ve been studying for the paper version of the LSAT and have very used to certain notation strategies for RC and LR that unfortunately cannot be done on the digital LSAC. I’m sure a lot of people are in this same boat

I’m starting this thread to ask: how are you adapting? What notation strategy do you find most intuitive?

I’ve tried: highlighting the conclusion with yellow. Underlining premises.
Nothing beats being able to circle indicators etc and drawing them back to important points though. And still can’t figure it out for RC.

Anyway, what has worked best for you? Hopefully, our collective sharing of strategies might be able help each other work through the transition!

Comments

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    1810 karma

Thanks for starting this...hoping ladies are included too :) I'm so worried about switching my notation methods that I haven't even been able to do an entire PT with the digital format yet. I'm taking June and July so I know I should do one, but it's taking up all of my time just to drill, foolproof and get my countdown to June 3 plan ready. At least the highlighter function works in the 7Sage one - it doesn't in the version LSAC is presenting for practice. I do think the biggest issue with notation will be with RC. I tried highlighting the people (or groups of people) and underlining their positions on matters, and then highlighting key words like however, but, therefore in a different color, also jotting down my low res summaries on scratch paper, but I'm definitely not comfortable yet. I think it would make sense to have a highlighter color for the Author's viewpoint/tone. It's going to be a bumpy transition for most of us, I think. Let's keep posting as we figure this shit out. Go team.
    (Also, I'm weirdly obsessed with "Suits" - seen every episode twice.)

• alumivacuialumivacui Alum Member
    212 karma

We are given scrap paper I believe... and will probably rely heavily on that whilst highlighting minimally ... but yeah... certain colours for certain things is basically what i've been doing

• Mike_RossMike_Ross Alum Member Sage
    3106 karma

@2ndTimestheCharm said:
    Thanks for starting this...hoping ladies are included too :) I'm so worried about switching my notation methods that I haven't even been able to do an entire PT with the digital format yet. I'm taking June and July so I know I should do one, but it's taking up all of my time just to drill, foolproof and get my countdown to June 3 plan ready. At least the highlighter function works in the 7Sage one - it doesn't in the version LSAC is presenting for practice. I do think the biggest issue with notation will be with RC. I tried highlighting the people (or groups of people) and underlining their positions on matters, and then highlighting key words like however, but, therefore in a different color, also jotting down my low res summaries on scratch paper, but I'm definitely not comfortable yet. I think it would make sense to have a highlighter color for the Author's viewpoint/tone. It's going to be a bumpy transition for most of us, I think. Let's keep posting as we figure this shit out. Go team.
    (Also, I'm weirdly obsessed with "Suits" - seen every episode twice.)

Ah! Sorry! Forgot to use a more gender neutral pronoun! Yes this is for everyone of course!

I like your idea! However, do you find it difficult to have to constantly switch back and forth between colors, functions, then writing with a pencil? Haven’t tried it myself and wondering if this will be an issue

Typically, with the paper version of RC, I’m marking up and circling key words much like I’m doing with LR.

• fycw2068fycw2068 Alum Member
    edited May 2019 404 karma

@Mike_Ross @2ndTimestheCharm @alumivacui
    I just posted about how I've been adapting to digital... I don't know why this thread didn't pop up when I tried doing a search about digital! (I came across this just manually going through the forum).

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/20084/tips-tricks-for-adapting-to-digital

I've personally found the switching between the diff highlighters/underlining a bit cumbersome... For me I've only really highlight premises in more complicated LR stims because I'm generally able to pick out the MC well.

One of my bigger weaknesses has actually been the Group 3 or Group 4 indicator words (unless/until/without.... no/none/not both etc...) so I highlight Group 3 word and the word before it so that I know to negate the sufficient condition, and group 4 I highlight the word and the word after it so I know to negate the necessary condition.

And not sure if this is helpful at all, but I actually tried to wean off of annotation to a certain extent. As my skills got better, I realized a lot of my annotations were out of habit/comfort. I ditched the clock and tried to solve problems without annotating... it took about 3 PTs for me to adjust, but I'm fairly comfortable with sticking with the annotation methods I've mentioned above. I share a bit more about RC annotation in my post and also how to make use of scrap paper.