PT9.S2.Q25 - Medical research findings are customarily

HalloallesHalloalles Alum Member
edited May 2019 in Logical Reasoning 46 karma

Hello friends,

I was stuck on this question for a long time, trying to figure out what is going on. In the end, I think I got my head around it. Can someone check my work please?

1. Medical Research Findings are public -------> Peer Review took place
  2. To prevent harm by the erroneous info to public ------------> Peer Review takes place

The conclusion : To protect public from erroneous info ---------> Medical Research Findings are public.

It seems like:
1. A ---> B
2. C ---> B
Conclusion : C ---> A

The answer choice (A) seems to say B ---> A, which is the missing link. Then everything chains up nicely.

C----->B <-----> A.

Am I stretching what the actual words are saying to fit them into the clean logical chain?

Please help me :(

Admin note: edited title

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@Halloalles
    First 2 sentences are context. Premise is Prevent Harm ----> Peer Review. Conclusion talks about the medical journal publishing peer reviewed research findings to protect the public. So we need an answer choice that bridges between the premise that peer review is necessary and that medical journals must publish the findings. AC A is necessary because if we negate it we don't need medical journals to publish findings.

I think you tried to link up the context and had to fudge the conditional statements a bit to work it all out. Try looking at the argument again with the first 2 sentences as context and the second 2 sentences as the premise and conclusion and I think it is a bit easier to see the gap in reasoning and the bridge that A provides. Hope this helps

• BlindReviewerBlindReviewer Alum Member
    855 karma

I agree with @drbrown2 (especially on how the first two sentences aren't really that important compared to the last two) -- I think what's more important than simply translating is just understanding the general argument, and then translating the relevant parts.

The main thing that makes this question difficult is the conclusion, which is almost a conditional statement that hinges on "must"

Protecting the public from substandard info -> Waiting until peer review happens in medical journals

This is because the last sentence says "this is the price that MUST be paid" meaning, waiting for journals to peer review is a necessary condition.

The premise to support this claim is in the preceding sentence that uses "the only" to indicate a conditional statement, which you translated correctly:

Prevent erroneous information -> Prepublication peer review

If we look at these two statements together, we can say that protecting the public from substandard info and preventing erroneous information are basically the same thing, so what needs to happen is that either the two necessary conditions are the same, or one is required for the other. A does the latter, where A shows:

Prepublication peer review -> peer review in medical journals

• HalloallesHalloalles Alum Member
    46 karma

Thank you all!!