Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I Moving Too Slow

J.B. JD ASAPJ.B. JD ASAP Member
in General 137 karma

Hello Everyone,
I started using 7 sage in the beginning of March, and although I printed out my study guide, I quickly decided that there was no way on earth I could advance at the suggested pace. I work full time and travel for my job, but I have been devoting as much time as possible to studying. I am still on the LR section (just finished Principal questions) and I am wondering two things: 1) am I moving too slow for a person who wants to take the LSAT in November 2019?, and 2) would it be better to do some LG's in between some of the LR's? I am not getting burned out per se, but every time I think, OK, I'm getting this stuff and the test might not be so bad, I then think, crap, I haven't even started the LG and RC sections. I studied for the LSAT a while ago, so I am familiar with all sections, but I really want to make sure I get EVERYTHING before moving on. Just worried that I might be spending too much time on LR's....so, should I push through LR's and then trust that by taking PT's I will get sufficient practice and start becoming the expert I yearn to be? Or am I doing the right thing by taking my time at an OK pace?
Looking forward to your responses, and thank you very much!!

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@"J.B. JD ASAP" said:
    Hello Everyone,
    I started using 7 sage in the beginning of March, and although I printed out my study guide, I quickly decided that there was no way on earth I could advance at the suggested pace.

Quality is way more important than quantity when it comes to studying for this test. Keep moving at a comfortable pace. Once you have the basics of conditional logic down you can skip ahead to the games curriculum if you want some variety. The games themselves will help you reinforce the mechanics of negating conditional statements, satisfying necessary conditions, negating sufficient conditions, etc. which will help you in LR a little bit. You have a lot of time before November but what is most important is that you get the foundation from the CC and apply it with effective and intense BR and practice when you start PTing. Plan on doing at least 2-3 games every day during your free time once you've done the CC Games curriculum.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

I’ve never heard of anyone moving through the CC too slowly. That said, you may ultimately have a choice to make: If it comes down to it and you have to choose one and only one, would you prioritize your test date or your target score? That answer can go a long way towards informing you on how to balance breadth and depth. I’m all about depth—arguably to a fault—but there are definitely legitimate arguments and considerations on both sides. The important thing is to actively define your priorities and proceed accordingly.

• J.B. JD ASAPJ.B. JD ASAP Member
    137 karma

Both comments contain excellent pieces of advise, so thank you for taking the time to reply. I agree that depth is the most important piece to kicking butt on the LSAT. I also believe that the LR section is critical to my overall success. Thank you both for the insight. I will continue at my current pace and dig in deep as I go along. I also plan on doing 2-3 games every day when I complete the LG section. One last question then; how did you choose which LG games you did on a daily basis? Oldest PT's to most current? Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

2227 karma

You should print out the LG bundle when you’re ready which is LG from PTs 1-35. The foolproof method is explained in great detail in the forums (search for Pacifico’s guide). Basically you just do the game and time yourself, then try to figure out if you’ve made the correct setup or if you could have split the game board up, and you watch the video explanation to compare yourself to JY. There are timing marks to shoot for for each game. If you don’t hit the timing mark and get -0, you immediately repeat. Then you repeat the next day, then again in a week.

Basically you just do a ton of games and recycle through games 1-35 over and over again for a couple of months and then you’ll be really well prepared. Also add in games from any PTs you take during your PT phase.

• 32 karma

@drbrown2 said:
    You should print out the LG bundle when you’re ready which is LG from PTs 1-35. The foolproof method is explained in great detail in the forums (search for Pacifico’s guide). Basically you just do the game and time yourself, then try to figure out if you’ve made the correct setup or if you could have split the game board up, and you watch the video explanation to compare yourself to JY. There are timing marks to shoot for for each game. If you don’t hit the timing mark and get -0, you immediately repeat. Then you repeat the next day, then again in a week.

Basically you just do a ton of games and recycle through games 1-35 over and over again for a couple of months and then you’ll be really well prepared. Also add in games from any PTs you take during your PT phase.

I'm still learning my way around -- how can I search for Pacifico's guide? Could you maybe provide the link?

2227 karma

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy/p1

You can use one of these spreadsheets to track your progress if you want. I used the search bar and found one linked by @Alex
    https://drive.google.com/drive/u/3/folders/1vtJeqvQRCYVZejcXU10u9BRgbnkdkmKq

• alumivacuialumivacui Alum Member
    212 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    I’ve never heard of anyone moving through the CC too slowly. That said, you may ultimately have a choice to make: If it comes down to it and you have to choose one and only one, would you prioritize your test date or your target score? That answer can go a long way towards informing you on how to balance breadth and depth. I’m all about depth—arguably to a fault—but there are definitely legitimate arguments and considerations on both sides. The important thing is to actively define your priorities and proceed accordingly.

Is that banana bc you are a community manager? Not going to lie, I like the nanner alot more than the star for the Sage

• Mariposadebarrio17Mariposadebarrio17 Alum Member
    39 karma

All, thank you for sharing your thoughts and thank you for posting @J.B. JD ASAP as it sounds that we are in a similar situation (work FT, familiar with LSAT).

I also started studying (again) in late February 2019, after taking a few months off after studying with BP last year from 03/2018 to 10/2018. I am barely on negation in the Some/Most Relationships section of the curriculum and second guess myself about going too slow as well. I'm having to relearn or retrain myself as this curriculum is much more thorough, which I definitely need to have a concrete understanding.