edited September 2019 in General 32 karma

Comments

• brooke23brooke23 Alum Member
    19 karma

I am here for the comments... I have been studying part-time while working for 4 months. Now I am studying full time and improved my score 10 points but still not at a 170.

• DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
    550 karma

@Taxlaw127 That varies from person to person but I have personally been studying for about a little over a year now. Mind you I transferred my business responsibilities to my younger brother so I can fully focus on LSAT material. These last two months I broke the 170 barrier probably three times and those were times that I was well rested and had a 2-3 day break from LSAT material. The LSAT as we all know is tough. Learning the core curriculum might get you to the high 150's but there are subtleties that can only be acquired through pattern recognition and a lot of practice that will get you to that magical 170. I would recommend you take untimed PT's but start from around PrepTest 50+ and stop before you get to the more relevant tests so you can save that for the timed PT's after you've solidified your understanding of the material (where you can quickly and accurately find the correct answer). DONT OVERSTUDY, LSAT logic needs time to wire into your brain subconsciously, doing endless drilling and getting frustrated will be a MAJOR negative (take it from me). When you do the untimed tests use the BR method and if you're not 100% on an answer choice, take as much time as you need until you are 100% confident thats the correct answer. A diagnostic of 153 is pretty solid, mine was at 148. Also I cannot stress the importance of quality rest and nutrition, its going to play a major major role in how well you do. I started doing well on the LSAT when I took a two week complete break from LSAT material and sat back down and told myself "Whatever happens happens". At that point I wasn't stressing myself out on trying to get a 180, I just told myself try to get as many points as possible and do your best; and that allowed me to really look at the LSAT with a new perspective.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

Took me over a year studying with a full time job. I’m not yet consistently scoring above 170 though.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Started studying in October 2016, and hit my first 170 in September 2017. So just short of a year.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Took me a year and 1/4 to score a 171 on the real test.

Started scoring 170's about 6 months before I got the actual score