Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A return: RC still sucks

AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
in General 2689 karma

I took almost a year off of LSAT study to focus on school. I don't regret it, as I graduated with a 4.2X. It will likely put my LSAC above 4 somewhere once the final transcripts are sent. Totally worth it.

However... I just took an older PT (40) and I'm just so frustrated. Score wise, it was pretty average to where I left off. Some of my coursework helped me bring my LR up (-4, -7 which is not bad; the BR was -8 total), but my LG and RC are still abysmal.
I expected some slip with LG, and I have brought my LG up before, but it is the RC part that bothers me (apparently, reading some rather intense philosophy papers wasn't enough to help there). It's historically almost always awful (-10ish). I have the LSAT Bible now, but any tips anyone has for getting my RC up from the floor would be great. I have tried outlining, not outlining, reading faster, reading slower, etc. I know I will miss some due to time, but I am missing way too many.

I'm taking July's testing because of the experience I may get with the new digital system, and because there's a freebie if I bomb it. With the closeness to test date, I expect it to just be a trial run with the new tech (hopefully). A better goal for me would be October or November, maybe Jan on the outside. So, not an utter emergency, and I don't expect any miracles here in the meantime. But if anyone has brought their RC score up successfully, I would love to know how you did it and what you recommend. I only need a handful of more points, and if I can bring up RC (along with bringing LG back up), I'd have it.

-A.R.

Comments

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

There are so many different pieces of advice on RC and a lot of it depends on what your main problem is. I improved my RC from -8/-10 to the -4/-6 range. The first and most valuable steps you can take is learning how to read for structure. Instead of reading to understand the content focus on the relationships. If you've already got that part down then the next (and possibly hardest step) is to learn how to recognize questions that aren't worth your time. If I run into a question and it mentions something I don't remember at all and have no idea where to look for it in the passage, I'm skipping that question. If your target is -6, there's no reason you shouldn't be skipping hard questions. In RC I've found the reason I spend too much time on a passage is because I feel like I've invested so much time into understanding it so I want to be able to answer every question. I think another really big part of improving is eliminating wrong answer choices. Most RC questions have at least 2 or 3 answer choices that can very quickly be eliminated. Sometimes actively crossing out those answer choices makes it easier to focus on the contenders.

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2798 karma

Congrats on graduating with such a unicorn GPA!! I feel like I have been prepping forever now because I remember a year ago when you were a regular poster like it was yesterday! I recommend this book for RC: https://www.amazon.com/LSAT-Reading-Comprehension-Ultimate-Improvement-ebook/dp/B013KNZ6FM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?keywords=adrian+yi+lsat&qid=1558621472&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmr0

It is only around 40 pages and focuses on simplicity in whatever method you choose for RC. I find that RC requires a lot of consistency in doing sections. This is because we are reading things all day, but the LSAT requires a very specific and narrow focused style of reading. Getting into this rhythm takes a ton of practice and repetition for me- just like a muscle. Good luck!

• Jane_lsatJane_lsat Free Trial Member
    152 karma

@"Lucas Carter" Hi, how is this book different from Trainer’s RC section? Thanks!

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2798 karma

@Jane_lsat said:
    @"Lucas Carter" Hi, how is this book different from Trainer’s RC section? Thanks!

Hey,

I read the Trainer a very long time ago so I cannot really offer anything substantive. However, from what I recall, the Trainer had a more systematic approach where the book linked is more geared towards simplicity and proper mindset.

• Jane_lsatJane_lsat Free Trial Member
    152 karma

@"Lucas Carter" thanks!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

@"Lucas Carter" said:
    Congrats on graduating with such a unicorn GPA!! I feel like I have been prepping forever now because I remember a year ago when you were a regular poster like it was yesterday!

Thanks! I'm happy to be done and have that part finished. Though, it does drive me nuts that they weigh this one test more than they do four years of hard work. :confounded:

Yeah. I was mostly absent from the forums for a number of months. LoL. I feel bad because, in the meantime, it feels like all of my friends here have moved on to their law schools. But, that also gives me hope that it will be me before long, too. Glad to see someone familiar :smiley:

Thanks for the link! I will check it out. I'm sure there's got to be something I haven't figured out yet that makes this section easier. I just have to find what clicks with my brain and practice it.
    I do believe skipping will be a necessary tool that I need to use more often.