Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you watch video explanations for each question when blind reviewing LR?

LsatmindedLsatminded Member
in General 54 karma

I score in the low 160s and it takes me forever to get through my blind reviews. With blind review, I reach around 165. The way I do it is I circle any questions that I am not sure about and think about why each answer is wrong or right. And then I watch the video. After that, I go back and passively watch the video for whichever question I did not circle, including the easy ones. I do not redo those questions tho. I guess I’m really afraid to get the right answer for the wrong reason. However, this takes me a really long time. So I am wondering if maybe I am approaching blind review incorrectly.

Comments

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

Depends how confident I feel about the questions. Sometimes I even watch the videos for questions I got correct because I wasn't completely sure. If I get a question wrong and catch it during BR and realized my mistake then I usually don't watch the video. When I do, I would just skip around on the video and listen to his explanation for a certain AC and see if that is the same as my reasoning.

• Patz4lifePatz4life Alum Member
    214 karma

I generally watch the videos for questions I circled. Occasionally a couple where I didn't circle as well

• 18 karma

I think you are taking a good approach but I would eventually start watching videos about the questions you get wrong or were not sure about ONLY. I think the main reason (at least in my case) is due to time. If I had infinite time then I would watch every video 10x. I think I would rather spend extreme amounts of time learning everything I possibly can about the really hard questions than spending loads of time watching videos about questions I found to be easy. If you get the hard stuff correct then the easy stuff will follow... or so I think.

• sakox010sakox010 Member
    edited May 2019 333 karma

I PT in the high 160s to low 170s, with a consistent BR score of 177+ and I still watch/read explanations for every question. Even on the easy ones, I learn ways to solve them faster or see new ways that I could have used to eliminated answer choices. There are times when I don't see certain inferences but will find out about them through the explanations. This has allowed me to burn through the easier questions faster when PTing, which ultimately saves you more time for the harder questions.

This is a very time consuming process though. I also don't watch the explanations until I'm completely certain that the answer I chose is right. When I do get questions wrong, it's usually because I missed some sort of inference or misunderstood an answer choice.

It's important to keep in mind quality vs quantity. If you aren't BRing in the high 170s then there is room for improvement. Focus more on increasing your BR score instead of looking at it as trying to get through lots of PTs.

As far as getting an answer you had correct on PT wrong on BR, this usually means that you didn't completely have the question nailed down and there's an opportunity for you to learn from it. There shouldn't really be any reason to be scared, since at the end of the day your BR score is just part of your prep and a tool to see where you are at.

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

Although it might be a longer approach, I don't see the harm in being thorough. You might actually learn a more efficient method in handling some questions. However, as your score improves it might be best to be confident in yourself and just move on if you get the question right.

• LsatmindedLsatminded Member
    54 karma

@NickIllini said:
    I generally watch the videos for questions I circled. Occasionally a couple where I didn't circle as well

how do you know when to watch the ones for ones you didn't circle?

54 karma

@cooljon525 said:
    Depends how confident I feel about the questions. Sometimes I even watch the videos for questions I got correct because I wasn't completely sure. If I get a question wrong and catch it during BR and realized my mistake then I usually don't watch the video. When I do, I would just skip around on the video and listen to his explanation for a certain AC and see if that is the same as my reasoning.

that seems more efficient! I guess I'm always a little scared that I'm getting the questions right for the wrong reason. I also doubt myself a little too much.

54 karma

@"jefffree.l.hoke89" said:
    I think you are taking a good approach but I would eventually start watching videos about the questions you get wrong or were not sure about ONLY. I think the main reason (at least in my case) is due to time. If I had infinite time then I would watch every video 10x. I think I would rather spend extreme amounts of time learning everything I possibly can about the really hard questions than spending loads of time watching videos about questions I found to be easy. If you get the hard stuff correct then the easy stuff will follow... or so I think.

Right. If only there was infinite time!!

54 karma

@sakox010 said:
    I PT in the high 160s to low 170s, with a consistent BR score of 177+ and I still watch/read explanations for every question. Even on the easy ones, I learn ways to solve them faster or see new ways that I could have used to eliminated answer choices. There are times when I don't see certain inferences but will find out about them through the explanations. This has allowed me to burn through the easier questions faster when PTing, which ultimately saves you more time for the harder questions.

This is a very time consuming process though. I also don't watch the explanations until I'm completely certain that the answer I chose is right. When I do get questions wrong, it's usually because I missed some sort of inference or misunderstood an answer choice.

It's important to keep in mind quality vs quantity. If you aren't BRing in the high 170s then there is room for improvement. Focus more on increasing your BR score instead of looking at it as trying to get through lots of PTs.

As far as getting an answer you had correct on PT wrong on BR, this usually means that you didn't completely have the question nailed down and there's an opportunity for you to learn from it. There shouldn't really be any reason to be scared, since at the end of the day your BR score is just part of your prep and a tool to see where you are at.

Do you do it for every single question in each section you take, including how he talks about the passage. What is the average amount of time it will take you? You're right, quality is important than quantity. I guess my fear is that I'm not taking nearly as enough practice tests as I should be.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

I watch every explanation, sometimes more than once.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I did not watch the video explanations for every question. For the majority of my studying, I only had the Starter package, so I didn’t have access to most of them. If I was able to watch them, I only did for the ones I circled, or sometimes only the ones I circled but didn’t get right or were unsure of in BR.

I generally don’t think there’s harm in watching all of them, except that I think some of it is a waste of time. Quality over quantity to me means being efficient with your studying. I was studying while working full time though, so I only had limited amount of time to study. If I watched every video for every PT, I’m not sure I would’ve been able to even take 1 PT per week. Or if I did, I wouldn’t have time for other drills too. Doing timed sections and drilling by question type were just as important to my studying as PT and BR. Since my time was limited, I had to be choosy with how I studied and only do the things that benefited me the most.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@Lsatminded said:

@NickIllini said:

how do you know when to watch the ones for ones you didn't circle?

Just to jump in here, I started filming my PTs on my phone and I watch videos for any questions that took me too long to figure out. Even if I figure out the question and move on confidently, I still sunk 90 seconds into a question I could have finished in 45 seconds. Sometimes these really easy questions that we take for granted can be looked at in a different way that helps with clarity. I watch videos for questions I circled, for questions that took me a long time, or for question types that I feel less confident with.