LSAT India PT 2 - 2012, S3, Q 10 & 14

A_Iheduru23A_Iheduru23 Alum Member
edited March 2015 in General 64 karma
Hey Everyone,

I'm posting here to see if anybody can help me in trying to figure out the answers to two Flaw Questions that appeared in Section 3 of the 2012 LSAT India Exam. The link to the Exam is Right HERE!

http://www.pearsonvueindia.com/lsatindia/docs/IndiaFreePrepTest2013_Final_v2.pdf

The first one would be Q10 in S3. I picked A, based off the fact that I thought it encapsulated the flaw more articulately than D. I know that D is an example of a shell game answer choice, but it still is confusing. Can someone provide me with an 100% correct reason why A is correct - or is my reason adequate enough?

The second one is Q14. This one was quite tough for me ( I didn't know what the definition of morally arbitrary was, I looked it up and I believe it to be "morally unjust") Can someone explain this problem as well. I picked C off of POE because it was the only answer choice that seemed to imply the forced compromises the opposition groups forced on democratic governments were not actually "harmful" or "undemocratic", which was the assumption the argument required.

Thanks!

Comments

• Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    @A_Iheduru23 Alright.... so question 10 basically asks why it is flawed that the Athenians thought themselves overly inclined to allow people to escape the punishment they deserved in the name of misguided mercy: I'm going to go over the WRONG answers first... B) It DOESN'T matter what the prosecutors thought of themselves - we're talking about the citizens here; C) It DOESN'T matter whether they were lenient or not... what matters is what THEY thought of THEMSELVES; D) It DOESN'T matter whether or not the people of a culture are the best judges of the culture... They may NOT be the BEST judges of their culture... they may be the WORST... does this explain or have ANYTHING to do why the the argument that they thought of them selves as overly lenient society is flawed? No - maybe they got it right in this instance - we can't say; E) Again, this does not go to the mental state of the Athenians about themselves - (A) is the ONLY one of these that touches on this aspect... the prosecutors did not represent popular opinion... which means that the Athenians did not think that they were to lenient... maybe they thought that they were fair... maybe they thought that they were too harsh... but DEFINITELY NOT too lenient... because that is what the prosecutors thought.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    I found 14 as easy though... arbitrary essentially means "based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system" - C) is correct because if "democratic governments appeal to moral principles in effecting compromises between those with opposing moral principles" then they are not being random without any system or reason... in fact quite the opposite - there is a system and reason that is certainly not random in their methods - hence they cannot be morally arbitrary.

A) even if they are no more arbitrary, they might be JUST as arbitrary - that does not explain why the govt is not morally arbitrary;

B) Does not address the issue of arbitrariness AT ALL but talks about what benefits citizens... it might as well talked about who is going to be the lucky guy that gets to shoot Justin Bieber #notaBieliber ;

D) Again.. what do I care about which form of government is more efficient... what about moral arbitrariness... that is what I want to know and this does not talk about that;

E) Again... what do I care about what other governments are going to do... that does not explain why this government is not morally arbitrary.